Purdue University is offering free online course on communication online course.
This five-week refresher is geared toward experts (scientists, engineers, and other technical professionals) and will help them effectively communicate with non-scientists, usually management, to inform organizational decision-making. The course will start on January 10, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 4-6 hours pw
Institution: Purdue University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on January 10, 2017
Purdue University is a vast laboratory for discovery. The university is known not only for science, technology, engineering, and math programs, but also for our imagination, ingenuity, and innovation. It's a place where those who seek an education come to make their ideas real — especially when those transformative discoveries lead to scientific, technological, social, or humanitarian impact.
About This Course
Far too frequently, the people who have the most to say have the hardest time saying it. Many of the best minds in our society, our most talented employees and our most promising students, fail to have the impact they could because of ineffective strategies for communicating their ideas and insights to others.
This five-week refresher is geared toward experts (scientists, engineers, and other technical professionals) and will help them effectively communicate with non-scientists, usually management, to inform organizational decision-making.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Review communications skills: Though many students learn communications skills early in their academic career, they may have not practiced, or may have forgotten, many useful communications tactics. Additionally, by the time these students begin to develop expertise in specific disciplines and begin working in certain industries, the communication needs become specialized and more challenging.
- Help experts assess the value of communication and gain confidence in their abilities: Some people don't want to communicate. They don't feel it is their job. They want to focus on their own technical areas of expertise. Perhaps they fear it a little because it is not their “area” or they simply dismiss it as unimportant. Either way, such beliefs ultimately become constraints on their own success and run counter to the expectations of others who oversee their work.
- Help professionals bridge the communication gap: Many people often underestimate how hard it is to effectively communicate and think they do a better job than they actually do. After all, their content makes sense to them, and if someone else doesn't understand, it must be their fault.
Dr. Bart Collins
Dr. Bart Collins is Director of the Online Master of Science Program in Strategic Communication for the Brian Lamb School of Communication.
Dr. Melanie Morgan
Dr. Melanie Morgan is an Associate Professor in the Brian Lamb School of Communication at Purdue University and serves as the school's Director of Graduate Studies.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)