Wellesley College Offering free online course on Global Social Change. Global Sociology is recommended but not required.
In this four week course, applicants will learn how everyday people in China, Bangladesh, Mexico, and the U.S. transform the world around them and advocate for social change.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 2-3 hours pw
Subject: Global Social Change
Institution: Wellesley College and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Since 1875, Wellesley College has been the preeminent liberal arts college for women. Known for its intellectual rigor and its remarkable track record for the cultivation of women leaders in every arena, Wellesley—only 12 miles from Boston—is home to some 2300 undergraduates from every state and 75 countries.
About This Course
what possibilities exist for a fairer world? Can one person truly make a difference? In this social sciences course, we sample the possibilities and limits of social change in an interconnected, inequitable global landscape.
Why Take This Course?
This course features in-depth examinations of the rise of garment work for Bangladeshi women, a labor strike in a Mexican suit factory, anti-sweatshop activism in China, and a chat with the president of one of the oldest textile manufacturers in the U.S.
- How globalization transforms local communities
- How the conditions of labor exploitation vary across countries and times
- How activism and protest fit into the study of global sociology
Smitha Radhakrishnan is Associate Professor of Sociology at Wellesley College. She earned her B.A. and PhD. From the University of California, Berkeley.
None; SOC 101 highly recommended, SOC 102 recommended.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)