Free Online Course on Introduction to Intercultural Studies
The University of Leeds is offering free online course on Introduction to Intercultural Studies: Defining the Concept of Culture. The course is for anyone with an interest in the concepts of culture and interculturality, you don't need any previous experience.
In this two week course, applicants will understand intercultural communication by learning about the concepts of culture and interculturality. This course will start on January 22, 2018.
Course At Glance
Length: 2 weeks
Effort: 5 hours/week
Subject: Introduction to Intercultural Studies: Defining the Concept of Culture
Institution: University of Leeds and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on January 22, 2018
As one of the UK's largest research-based universities, the University of Leeds is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and a centre of excellence for teaching.
About This Course
On this course, you'll explore some of the meanings associated with the term ‘culture' and examine their problematic nature. You'll understand the effects of the interaction between cultures explore the notion of interculturality and problematise the way in which social interaction between people from different backgrounds has been considered.
Why Take This Course?
Applicants will also examine the theories that underpin intercultural interactions and broaden your understanding of culture and intercultural communication.
By the end of the course, you'll be able to…
- Develop an understanding of the ideas of culture and interculturality.
- Describe the different dimensions of cultures and explain the limitations of these definitions.
- Discuss how othering leads to the development of in and out groups and explore their effect on cultural interactions.
- Evaluate the range of meanings of the term culture.
- Investigate a range of intercultural interactions using their understanding of intercultural competence.
The course is for anyone with an interest in the concepts of culture and interculturality, you don't need any previous experience.
This course is also ideal if you are preparing to move to a different country for work or study or you work with groups of people from different cultures to yours. By completing all aspects of the course you will have achieved 14 hours of CPD time.
Haynes Collins is a Director of Intercultural Studies in the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies at the University of Leeds.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).