Free Online Course on Learning Analytics Fundamentals
The University of Texas at Arlington is offering free online course on Learning Analytics Fundamentals. The UTArlingtonX Learning Analytics courses will give you the opportunity to gain invaluable knowledge and expertise in this growing field.
In this four week course, applicants will learn about the growing field of learning analytics and how to analyze basic data sets to generate insights. This course will start on October 30, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 5-7 hours pw
Subject: Data Analysis & Statistics
Institution: University of Texas at Arlington and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: Course Starts on October 30, 2017
The University of Texas at Arlington is one of the nation's most dynamic centers of higher learning, setting the standard for educational excellence in the thriving North Texas region it calls home.
About This Course
The demand for data science and learning science skills has continued to increase as classrooms, labs, and organizations look to optimize their data and improve learning environments for students and employees. The UTArlingtonX Learning Analytics courses will give you the opportunity to gain invaluable knowledge and expertise in this growing field.
Why Take This Course?
In this introductory course, you will develop a solid understanding of fundamental learning analytics theories and processes, and explore different types of educational data. You will gain experience working with educational data sets and the R programming language, and hear from a diverse set of voices in the field.
- The field of learning analytics and explore how data and information are used
- Common learning analytics methods and approaches, such as data wrangling and cleaning, structure discovery, and basic prediction modeling
- How to conduct basic data wrangling and analyses
- Ethics and privacy considerations
- Working in a collaborative, cross-disciplinary setting
- Common toolsets used in the UTArlingtonX Learning Analytics courses (R and GitHub)
George is an author, researcher, and theorist in the field of learning, knowledge management, and technology.
Charles Lang is a Visiting Assistant Professor in Learning Analytics and coordinator of the Learning Analytics Masters Program at Teachers College, Columbia University.
Justin T. Dellinger is the Associate Director of the Learning Innovation and Networked Knowledge (LINK) Research Lab at the University of Texas at Arlington.
This course is intended for those who have a bachelor's degree and are interested in developing learning and data science skills for employment in education, corporate, nonprofit, and military sectors. Experience with programming and statistics will be beneficial to participants.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)