Over twelve-week applicants will learn how to write programs that are safe from bugs, easy to understand, and ready for change.The course will start on September 26, 2016
Course At A Glance
Length: 12 weeks
Effort: 15 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and edx
Price: Free. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Starts on September 26, 2016
Massachusetts Institute of Technology — a coeducational, privately endowed research university founded in 1861 — is dedicated to advancing knowledge and educating students in science, technology, and other areas of scholarship that will best serve the nation and the world in the 21st century. Learn more about MIT. Through MITx, the Institute furthers its commitment to improving education worldwide.
About This Course
This computer science course is the first of a two-course sequence about writing good software using modern software engineering techniques.
In this course, you will learn what software engineers mean by “good” code — safe from bugs, easy to understand, and ready for change. You will also learn ways to make your code better, including testing, specifications, code review, exceptions, immutability, abstract data types, and interfaces.
This is a challenging and rigorous course that will help you take the next step on your way to becoming a skilled software engineer.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Java programming
- Software testing
- Code specifications
- Abstract data types
Rob is a professor of computer science at MIT, and a member of the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL). He earned Bachelors and Masters degrees in computer science from MIT (1995) and PhD from Carnegie Mellon University (2002).
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)