EPFL is offering free online course on Technology Innovation for Sustainable Development. This course presents a methodology and an approach to develop impactful innovations that have the power to foster sustainable development.
In this course, applicants will learn how to use technology innovation as a tool to fight poverty and enable sustainable development. The course will start on May 1, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 2-3 hours pw
Institution: EPFL and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on May 1, 2017
EPFL is the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne. The past decade has seen EPFL ascend to the very top of European institutions of science and technology: it is ranked #1 in Europe in the field of engineering by the Times Higher Education (based on publications and citations), Leiden Rankings, and the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
About This Course
Technology innovation can be a great enabler for development in low and middle-income countries. This course presents a methodology and an approach to develop impactful innovations that have the power to foster sustainable development.
Whether you are from an industrialized or a developing country, whether you are employed in a company, an NGO, an international organization or a government. Whether you are an academic, an independent entrepreneur, or simply a passionate individual, this course is for you.
You will learn how, as an innovator, you can help solve important issues that burden those living in poverty. Through practical examples, we will demonstrate how you can take your initiative from a blank sheet of paper through to large-scale deployment of your technology innovation.
Why Take This Course?
In this course applicants will learn how to use technology innovation as a tool to fight poverty and enable sustainable development.
- Determine how contextual factors influence technology development and deployment.
- Create innovative technologies that sustainably impact poverty.
- Lead a technology innovation process -from initial concept to product scale-up- maximizing impact and minimizing risk.
- Evaluate alternative business models for technologies intended to impact poverty.
Klaus Schönenberger PhD
Program Leader, Cooperation and Development Center, EPFL Switzerland
Solomzi Makohliso PhD
Deputy Program Leader, Cooperation and Development Center, EPFL Switzerland
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)