KU Leuven University Free Online course on Web Security Fundamentals
KU Leuven University is offering free online course on Web Security Fundamentals. The course provides an overview of the most common attacks, and illustrates fundamental countermeasures that every web application should implement.
In this five-week course, you will gain insights into the threats that modern web applications face. This course will start on October 3, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 4-6 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: KU Leuven University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on October 3, 2017
Situated in Belgium, in the heart of Western Europe, KU Leuven has been a centre of learning for nearly six centuries. Today, it is Belgium's largest university and, founded in 1425, one of the oldest and most renowned universities in Europe. As a leading European research university and co-founder of the League of European Research Universities (LERU), KU Leuven offers a wide variety of international master's programmes, all supported by high-quality, innovative, interdisciplinary research.
About This Course
Web applications are inherently insecure, as aptly illustrated by a pile of recent events. Insecurity is however not fundamental to the web platform. As a matter of fact, the modern web offers a variety of powerful security features that help stop a hacker. Unfortunately, not many developers have the knowledge and skills to leverage these security features to their full potential.
Why Take This Course?
This course is imperative for understanding the fundamental security principles of the web. The course provides an overview of the most common attacks, and illustrates fundamental countermeasures that every web application should implement. In essence, this course offers you the knowledge and skills to build better and more secure applications.
- Underlying security principles of the web
- Overview of concrete threats against web applications
- Insights into common attacks and countermeasures
- Current best practices for secure web applications
Philippe De Ryck
Philippe De Ryck is a professional trainer and speaker on software security and web security. Since he obtained his PhD at the imec-DistriNet research group (KU Leuven, Belgium), he has been running the group's Web Security Training program, which ensures a sustainable knowledge transfer of security expertise towards practitioners.
Understanding of basic web technologies (HTTP, HTML, JS, …)
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the orghomepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)