Delft University of Technology is offering an open online course on Product Design: The Delft Design Approach. This course is aimed at anyone who is familiar with the concepts like ‘design thinking'.
Over 7 weeks, applicants will learn to design meaningful products and services in this introductory design course. The course will start on May 15, 2016.
Course At A Glance
Length: 7 weeks
Effort: 6-8 hours per week
Institution: Delft University of Technology and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $50.
Session: Course starts on May 15, 2016
The Delft University of Technology has teamed up with edX to bring this leadership course for the engineering participants. Delft University of technology is the largest and oldest technological university in the Netherlands.
edX is a world's free online course provider and learning platform that provides applicants the best MOOCs from world's large universities and helps them create effective online teaching and learning experiences in a collaborative, private environment.
About This Course
Using the Delft Design Approach, applicants will learn how to use a number of key design methods to create meaningful products and services. This course is an introduction to the Delft Design Approach offering a set of signature methods from Delft to teach them how to get from understanding the user in context to defining a meaningful design challenge and – in the end – deliver a great design! The course challenges applicant to experience the design process themselves and reflects on their work with the help of students and excellent teaching staff from Delft, and industrial experts.
No previous knowledge of design methods is required, yet some experience with designing (something) is helpful.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
Applicants will learn to design meaningful products and services in this introductory design course.
- How to understand users in their own environment
- How to translate user needs into a design challenge that will spark creativity
- How to create a meaningful design to meet challenge
- How to use methods and models to structure design projects
- How to evaluate and present design
Annemiek van Boeijen
Annemiek is an assistant professor in industrial design and design aesthetics at the Delft University of Technology.
Jaap J.J. Daalhuizen
Jaap was an assistant professor at the Delft University of Technology. He now works at the Technical University of Denmark.
None; Some familiarity with concepts like ‘design thinking', ‘User-centered design' and ‘Design process' is advised.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org home page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)