The University of Texas at Arlington is offering an open online course on Introduction to Engineering. In this eight-week course, applicants will design and build devices, systems, materials and processes in engineering.
The goal of this engineering course is to provide high school students and college freshmen a broad outline of engineering and help them decide on a career in engineering. The course will start on June 8, 2016.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 4-6 hours per week
Institution: University of Texas and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course starts on June 8, 2016
The University of Texas at Arlington is one of the nation's most dynamic centers of higher learning, setting the standard for educational excellence in the thriving North Texas region it calls home. An academic centerpiece in the heart of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex for nearly 120 years, UT Arlington was founded in 1895 as a private liberal arts institution. The University has evolved through a succession of names and missions, achieving senior college status in 1959 and becoming part of The University of Texas System in 1965.
About This Course
The goal of this engineering course is to provide high school students and college freshmen a broad outline of engineering and help them decide on a career in engineering. This course will focus on exploring the different disciplines of engineering and providing participants with a broad background in different areas of engineering.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- History of Engineering
- Introduction to Bioengineering, Mechanical, Civil, and Electrical
- Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering design
Pranesh B. Aswath
Pranesh Aswath is the Vice Provost at the University of Texas at Arlington and is also a professor in Materials Science and Engineering and Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- High school mathematics including basic concepts of algebra, trigonometry, geometry and calculus
- High school physics, chemistry, and biology
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)