Station Administrator - IITA Cameroon
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Station Administrator at IITA Cameroon, Yaounde. It is a nationally recruited position exclusively for Cameroon citizens.
IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by CGIAR. Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of tropical nations. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
1. Duties and responsibilities
- Provide oversight of administration including supervision of all support service staff and ensure that the logistical and administrative support required for research activities is effectively and efficiently provided.
- Implement and ensure compliance with IITA policies and procedures and bring up to the Country Representative suggestions for changes where necessary.
- Assist the Country Representative in liaising with the host country government.
- Authorize Station’s financial transaction as provided by IITA policies and procedures.
- Review, approve and monitor the station’s monthly imprest.
- Lead the procurement function (Purchasing, Stores and Receiving/Shipping) to ensure its effectiveness and maintain relevant records and produce monthly reports.
- Lead the facilities management function including monitoring of building construction contracts and works, and monitoring of facilities and vehicle maintenance contracts and works;
- Prepare, manage and monitor the station’s operating and cost recovery budgets.
- Assist scientists in the management of their operating budgets.
- Assist HR in administering monetized housing related benefits, annual leave travel for IRS and in conducting related surveys.
- Liaise with appropriate support service unit heads in Ibadan and/or the Central Africa regional hub office to arrange services for the station as may be required.
- Conduct periodic remuneration surveys for Nationally Recruited staff.
- When required, liaise with HR to initiate medical evacuation for IRS.
- Institute adequate arrangements for fire-protection/fighting and safety in the station’s laboratories and offices.
- Maintain accurate records on all administrative functions and services.
- Assist and advise scientists in all administrative and management matters.
- Assist and advise Country Representative in developing the Station’s capital investment plans.
2. Education Level and Qualifications:
- A MBA in administration is highly desirable, but minimum requirement is a university degree in management plus 3 years of experience, preferably with international organizations.
- Other relevant trainings and certification are an advantage.
3. Core Competencies:
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Strong analytical skills that include good attention to details.
- Good knowledge and experience in working with Cameroon government administration.
- Ability and experience in working in a diverse and multi-cultural environment with several nationalities.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with ability to communicate in English and French both orally and in writing.
4. Duty Station: IITA-Cameroon Station, Yaoundé.
5. General Information: Initial appointment is for two years with a probation period as per Cameroon Labor Code. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in FCFA. This package includes base pay and housing and transport allowances. In addition, IITA Cameroon pays the premium of a competitive health benefit package, contributes to CNPS, pays for daily catered lunch to its entire staff, and provides a paid annual leave, with days of leave depending on pay grade.
6. Applications: Applications must include cover letter, curriculum vitae, and names and addresses (including phone number and email) of three persons knowledgeable of the applicant’s experience and performance. Applications should be addressed to the IITA Country Representative in Cameroon (email@example.com). Interested candidates could also complete the online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/nrs-online-application
7. Closing Date: 31 August 2013
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.