BRITISH HIGH COMMISSION YAOUNDE
View Vacancy - 10/17 YAO Butler
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Estates
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Reporting to the Residence Manager, the Butler is responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the household and the servicing of the High Commissioner and their guests. They will learn the personal preferences of the High Commissioner and ensure that the Residence facility and services are delivered in a proactive, discreet, timely, thoughtful and unobtrusive manner. They supervise the work of contract gardeners and other outsourced staff ensuring the property and the service provided are of a high standard and cost efficient.
The British High Commissioner's Residence is a representational property and is used to promote the UK and to host VIP guests.
Main purpose of job
- To ensure guests and clients receive excellent service
- To supervise external service providers and suppliers when working on the Residence premises including casual staff hired for receptions.
- To support Residence Manager in the management of the Residence including in the areas of maintenance, administration and budgeting
Roles and responsibilities:
- Welcome guests to the Residence and ensure their comfort, safety and ability to conduct business
- Personally serve principals, guests and clients as appropriate
- When requested, liaise with organisers and ensure a comprehensive brief is taken. Interact with Residence Manager on costing; staffing; hiring of suppliers; layout and requirements
- Ensure the Residence is prepared according to the agreed brief
- Brief casual staff hired to serve at events and run the bar
- Provide guidance in etiquette, protocol, and appropriate housekeeping and service standards
- Supervision of maintenance, repairs and improvement projects
- Overseeing the work of casual staff. Guide and lead them to carry out their jobs in a positive, motivated manner.
- Comprehensive annual stock take of residence inventory with the Residence Manager's supervision
- Monthly drinks inventory check and reconciliation with Residence Manager
- Monitoring the stock of cleaning materials and request replacements when at minimum stock levels.
- Set up a system for issuing & return of Residence equipment and stocks for official use at the office and any other location
- Cleaning of the public areas of the residence with special responsibility for the gym
- Promptly record and report to the Residence Managers any damages to residence items or any needed maintenance works.
- Manage the wine cellar – keep a stock of suitable wines and beverages and liaise with the Principals and Residence Manager in selecting. Perform monthly stock take with residence Manager
- Liaise with Residence Manager print menus, place and name cards
High Commissioner - Personal Service
- Manage the provision of personal housekeeping services to the High Commissioner and his/her personal guests for non-official events.
Essential qualifications and experience
Certificate/Diploma in household & property management / hospitality and residential service
Experience as a Butler in a diplomatic residence, boutique hotel or private home of similar standing, with excellent references and a track record of expertise in:
- Service of high quality food and beverages
- Staff supervision
- Events management
- Maintenance & repairs
- Computer literacy
- Light food preparation
Desirable qualifications and experience: Knowledge of wine and food; able to do basic maintenance such as changing light bulbs, using a drill etc.
Required competencies: Changing and Improving, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service
Application deadline: 13 November 2017
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 24 months
Location (City): Yaounde
Type of Post: British High Commission
Starting monthly salary (): 209 568 CFA
Start Date: 2 January 2017
Other benefits and conditions of employment
- Housing Allowance of 60 996 CFA
- Transport Allowance of 32 884 CFA
- Unsociable Working Hours Allowance of 15 000 CFA
All interested candidates are invited to apply online through the following link: Butler