BRITISH HIGH COMMISSION YAOUNDE
Vacancy - Residence Manager
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Estates
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The main function of the Residence Manager is to ensure the smooth and professional day to day running of the Residence (staff, budget, events).It requires someone with good management and administration skills.
The job is part-time (50%) and will require an average of 17 ½ hours worked per week. The working hours will be flexible but will require some work in the evenings when there are functions, and occasional (perhaps once or twice a year) work at weekends.
Roles and responsibilities :
- Manage the day to day functioning of the Residence to a high standard of efficiency and professionalism, in keeping with UK.
- Plan and manage the High Commissioner's programme of hospitality at the residence.
- Work closely with PA/HC and the High Commissioner's wife regarding scheduling and any other issues relevant to the Residence or the events.
- Organize and co-ordinate all aspects of the High Commissioner's hosted events to a high level of professionalism, creativity and value for money, working effectively with relevant High Commission staff concerned.
- Recommend menus, plan the setup of events, staffing, and seating plan. Be present during the event to ensure that all staff fulfills their duties correctly.
- Work closely with organizations, companies and any other associations, which occasionally use the Residence as a venue for functions, generating revenue for the Mission where appropriate.
- Manage the team of 3 staff and the Residence.
- Liaise with High Commission Corporate Services Team over Residence needs for general maintenance and procurement of necessary furniture and equipment.
- Run an account for Residence shopping (food, drinks, flowers, extra staff etc), accounting for all expenditure, costing each event individually.
- Maintain accurate records of Residence activity and residence assets such as: inventory of wine, beer, soft drinks and food stocks and of residence property, government art and furnishings.
- Request repairs to the Residence and suggest improvements and replacement of equipment, including in the kitchen, when required.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure): Residence Imprest of 500,000cfa, three residence staff
Essential qualifications and experience
- Ability to plan, manage and deliver successful events; multitasking and working under pressure.
- Demonstrated experience of managing a budget.
- Excellent staff management skills and effective communication.
- Knowledge of restaurant, hotel or catering company food and beverage skills, and menu preparation.
- Problem solving initiative. Anticipates and takes initiative to avoid problems or fix them; uses information and experience to solve problems effectively
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Bilingual English and French language fluency (written and spoken).
Required competencies : Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service
Application deadline : 18 May 2017.
Grade: A1 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term, Part-Time
Working hours per week: 17
Location (City): Yaounde
Type of Post: British High Commission
Number of vacancies : 1
Starting monthly salary (): 318,248CFA inclusive of all allowances
Start Date: 1 July 2017
End Date : 14 June 2019
Other benefits and conditions of employment: There will be travel requirements and opportunities both within West Africa
All interested candidates are invited to apply online through the following link: Residence Manager