Mobile Financial Services
Advans Cameroun Microfinance Institution
Advans' mission is to build a network of microfinance institutions (MFIs) in developing and emerging countries in order to cater to the financial needs of micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises, and low-income populations, which have limited or no access to formal banking services.
The Advans group currently spans ten countries: Cambodia, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Myanmar, Nigeria, Pakistan, Tanzania and Tunisia. Horus provides each Advans MFI with full technical assistance. Advans MFIs serve more than 620,000 clients for an outstanding loan portfolio of more than EUR 500 million and a deposit base of EUR 250 million; the group employs more than 5,000 staff.
Advans Cameroun was the first institution set up by Advans, in 2007, and it currently serves 48,000 clients, through 15 branches covering the major cities. Advans Cameroun launched an ambitious mobile financial services project in 2015, with two main goals: strengthening and improving its deposit collection services, and expansion of its activity in remote rural areas.
In order to support Advans Cameroun's project, Horus is seeking a project manager specialised in launching Mobile Financial Services. This 12-month mission is based in Douala, Cameroon. The position is to be filled immediately.
Under the direct supervision of the institution's CEO, the Project Manager will be responsible for implementing the institution's Mobile Financial Services strategy. He/she will work in close collaboration with the Advans Cameroun departments involved in the project, and external partners.
Advans Cameroun has conducted preparatory studies that identified the delivery channels required, including mobile collectors, a third-party agent network, partnerships with an electronic purse supplier, and self-service banking. The Project Manager's missions, based on the above work, include:
- Designing new services and products offered outside of branches;
- Leading implementation of the identified delivery channels by organising a pilot project, and then the roll-out of these services;
- Setting up and monitoring an agent network;
- Negotiating with key partners (electronic purse providers, telecom operators, etc.);
- Coordinating the efforts of all departments involved (IT, Operations, HR, Risk, etc.);
- Constantly monitoring the results and performances of the new services implemented, and making adjustments if required;
- Participating in the training of local staff, identifying the Cameroonian manager to take over the project and transferring the knowledge required to ensure the lasting success of the services.
Throughout his/her assignment, the Project Manager will be supported by Horus' consultants who are based at the head office in France.
Qualifications and/or experiences required
- Master's degree or equivalent from a business school or university, with a focus on finance, economy, banking or management;
- Five to seven years' experience in consulting or project management for financial institutions (retail) or telcos, with a focus on product development or delivery channels;
- At least two years' experience in mobile banking and agent network design/management;
- Experience in emerging countries is an asset.
- Results-driven and client-centric;
- Strong analytical and project management skills;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to negotiate with internal and external partners;
- Ability to work well in a team and to work under pressure with tight deadlines;
- Appetite for technology and innovative solutions;
- Pragmatism and capacity to learn new subjects quickly;
- Fluency in French and good command of English.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.