Job Advert: Grants Accountant (21123)
Plan International is an independent non-profit development and humanitarian organization that advances children's rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children's rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International Cameroon is currently advertising for the following position of Grants Accountant- Country Office/Yaoundé.
Please note that this is a local contract.
Dimensions of Role:
- Business planning processes
- Accounting and treasury.
- Financial reporting and analysis.
- Capacity building
Business planning process:
- Participates in the budgeting process and ensures that the budget to be recovered from grants is highlighted and insert in the grant portion of the budget template.
- Participates in the review of the grant proposal to ensure that budgets are in line with the country's cost apportionment procedures
- Ensure that each project has an apportioned cost (Country Office running costs) WBS (Work Breakdown Structure or account line) with the appropriate output and share the apportioned cost budget with Project Manager/Coordinator to insert in their Project.
Accounting and treasury :
- Ensure that salary cost recovery sheet have been prepared in a monthly basis to allow the adjustment of the automatic journal.
- Ensure that the overhead budget has been consumed in a monthly basis through payment and journal vouchers
Financial reporting and analysis:
- Prepare a Budget Versus Actual for overhead budget in a monthly basis
- Prepare the cost recovery report in a monthly basis based on the approved budget before recording to SAP ( Accounting system)
- Always update the Project Coordinator on the status of the overhead and all cost to be recovered in the project and work with them to propose the use of the budget for Management approval
- Follow up the spending level of the overhead and cost to be recovered per grant to share with Business Analyst, the Country Finance Manager, the Program Support Manager and the Grant Support Manager.
- Be ready to support the Program Unit (PU) during the implementation of the projectBuilding the capacity of non-Accounting staff to acquire knowledge in finance procedures and donor requirements
Dealing with Problems:
- Ability to draft clear and precise report in responding to grants queries
- A good understanding of Plan integrated systems ( SAP) for efficiency and compliance
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must have very good interpersonal relationship with colleagues and supervisors.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Grants Project/Program Coordinators and manger – high
- Program Technical Advisor - Medium
- Program Support Manager - Medium
- Country Finance Manager – High
- Grants Support Manager - High
- Country Accountant – High
- Business Analyst- High
- PUMs- Low
- Partners (Medium)
Qualification and Experience:
- University degree in Accounting/Finance/Management
- At least 3 years' experience in a similar role or in grants management
- Fair knowledge of project management
- Good experience and knowledge of accounting and grant funds management regulations and procedures;
- Good experience and knowledge on internal financial controls and procedures.
- Good experience in project reporting requirements and knowledge of Plan's financial systems and procedures.
- Good team player (ability to work in a team)
- Proficient in Microsoft applications especially spread sheets (e.g. excel )
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver to tight deadlines
- Self starter and innovative
- Good English and French is an asset
- Independent minded, objective and demonstrate a sense of integrity.
- Organized, methodic and meticulous
- Innovation and willingness to learn at a faster rate
- Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations
- Aware of impact on others and adjusting own behaviour accordingly
- Tolerant of difference - cultural sensitivity in relation to its impact on HR
- Monthly feedback on time
- Monthly Reporting on time.
Physical Environment and Demands:
The position holder will work in a typical office environment with some of his/her colleagues in same office environment and others on the field. The Mobility in the Plan Program Units will be about 30% .
To apply for this job, kindly click on “Apply “. Your application should include:
- A Covering letter
- A Comprehensive CV including details of two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent supervisor
Location: Yaoundé- Bureau National
Closing date: 28/06/2017
Plan International Cameroon operates in an equal opportunity environment and actively encourages diversity. Only applications received in French or English will be treated and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Plan International has a child protection and gender equality policies that are integral part of the recruitment process.