With joint accountability to the Global Secretariat's Chief Academic and Research Officer, and the Centre President at AIMS-Cameroon (African Institute for Mathematical Sciences), the Director, Mathematics Teacher Training will give leadership to and effectively manage the pilot phase of an innovative new Mathematics Teacher Training program in Cameroon.
We're transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS, www.nexteinstein.org) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training, research and public engagement in mathematical sciences. Its mission is to enable Africa's brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa's future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in 2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana and Cameroon, with a fifth centre scheduled to open in Tanzania in 2014. The goal of the AIMS Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is to build a Pan African network of 15 centres of excellence across the continent by 2023.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to affect change, consider this new opportunity as our...
Director, Mathematics Teacher Training
With joint accountability to the Global Secretariat's Chief Academic and Research Officer, and the Centre President at AIMS-Cameroon, the Director, Mathematics Teacher Training will give leadership to and effectively manage the pilot phase of an innovative new Mathematics Teacher Training program in Cameroon.
As a passionate, life-long academic professional, you will be relied on to inspire and guide a team of like-minded specialists, in addition to academic and government partners, in the development of a newly-funded premier secondary school mathematics teacher training program to significantly raise the quality of teacher training of mathematics in Cameroon.
In this start up role, you bring your enthusiasm together with your expertise as a trusted and credible champion of change with an innate ability to build and nurture collaborative relationships with the government of Cameroon and the Higher Teacher Training Colleges (HTTCs). The Mathematics Teacher Training program is a new initiative for the AIMS network with significant opportunity for scale-up and to distinguish AIMS as an innovative learning institution that consistently provides cutting edge approaches to high quality mathematics education.
This is a 3-year, full time contract, based in Yaounde, Cameroon.
Do you have what we need?
- Minimum Master's degree or equivalent in mathematics, plus a certification in the teaching of mathematics; PhD or Doctorate degree in Mathematics or Mathematics Education is desirable;
- Outstanding practitioner with minimum 10 years' experience in teaching of mathematics in a classroom setting, preferably at secondary and university levels;
- Experience designing, leading and assessing professional development courses for math teachers, including in a virtual environment;
- In-depth knowledge of trends in adult education and the use of Information Communication Technology (ICT) in education;
- Bilingual with strong French & English language skills;
- A demonstrable understanding of issues of development within Africa, with a strong focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) education preferred
- Superb networking skills for development of relationships within the academic community;
- Highly developed skills in the areas of strategic and operational planning as well as budgeting, conflict resolution, performance management and critical thinking;
- Strong creative instincts to develop new approaches and solutions to challenges with limited guidance and historical precedent;
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter who enjoys new learning within a dynamic work environment;
- Ability to engage effectively with government officials, and senior staff of partner and donor organizations;
- Experience distance managing a multicultural team, including consultants;
- Superior interpersonal, customer service and communication skills (verbal and written) to interact effectively with multi-cultural/racial/able students, staff and the public
- Self-sufficiency using Latex (mathematics writing software),MS Office and internet applications (Gmail, Skype, etc.)
- Ability and willingness to travel, both within and outside of Cameroon for periodic extended in-country stays of up to 2 weeks
- Valid driver's license with access to own vehicle
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations and a detailed CV, in English, as one document to: email@example.com (Please quote “Director, Mathematics Teacher Training” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until November 24, 2014.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.