WWF Cameroon is looking for a Legal Consultant, for its Coastal Forests Programme in order to advise and assist officials of the Ministry of forestry and wildlife and represent MINFOF in court on wildlife matters entering the judiciary in the South west region of Cameroon.
I. Background and justification
The South West region’s biodiversity is under increasing pressure from commercial poaching, extensive habitat alteration and rising illegal human encroachment into fragile protected areas. While WWF teams through its Coastal Forest program continue to support field based ranger activities, a more holistic approach has emerged which focuses not only on traditional anti-poaching methods but which also encompasses establishing and maintaining a deterrent at the judiciary level by increasing the ratio of wildlife prosecutions per arrest.
WWF is therefore seeking the services of an experienced lawyer to advise and assist officials of the Ministry of forestry and wildlife and represent MINFOF in court on wildlife matters entering the judiciary in the South west region of Cameroon.
II. Main duties and responsibilities
- Provide legal advice and assistance to MINFOF officials and MINFOF partners including WWF in all wildlife matters for which he will be appointed;
- Follow up wildlife cases in court to ensure wildlife offenders are prosecuted according to the law;
- Ensure all final court decisions are formalized and withdrawn from the court;
- Update MINFOF and WWF officials on the evolution of legal procedures and alert on time on obstacles and difficulties observed;
- Monitor the establishment of legal and administrative acts and provide assistance when necessary.
Applicants should meet the following:
- Be a Lawyer registered at the Cameroon’s Bar Association with at least five years of experience
- Law firm located in the South west region of Cameroon
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Fluency in French
- Demonstrated report‐writing ability
- Good analytical skills
- Past experience handling wildlife matters
- Outstanding communication skills
IV.3-Composition and submission of candidatures
- The bidder's detailed CV
- A cover letter;
- A detailed technical offer;
- A detailed financial offer
Duration of Study: 01 (one) year renewable
How to apply? Email the required documents to JKolokosso@wwfcarpo.org. The subject should read 032LegA
Only those who meet the requirements will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: August 14, 2013.