Position: Part-time Animal Production Technical Trainer in the Agriculture Sector
Peace Corps Cameroon is seeking to fill a part-time position Animal Production Technical Trainer to design, facilitate, monitor and evaluate community-based technical training for Peace Corps Volunteers in Cameroon for its Agriculture sector. The part-time position is a field based position in Santa, North-West Region, from August 2016 to November 2016.
Technical Training Design: With guidance from the Training Team and the Program Manager, assist in the preparation of the technical training objectives, instructional plans and materials and evaluation tools for use within the Community-Based Training (CBT) model, and adapt existing technical training sessions to the current project framework.
Pre-training Research: Conduct Pre-training Research to identify resources in the CBT center, prepare the training center grounds for practical hands-on activities in gardening and small animal husbandry, and assist training staff with gaining community support with pre-training community meetings.
Training: Prepare technical sessions to include adult learning methodologies, facilitate technical training sessions, and oversee all technical training delivery including practical instructions; classroom activities; field trips; supervision of trainee directed activities and other field work; assistance to Trainees in preparation of thematic presentations.
Trainee Qualification/Assessment: Assess trainee progress toward meeting training competencies specifically related to meeting technical training objectives. Provide written documentation of individual Trainee progress and participate in scheduled feedback sessions.
Program Integration: Work alongside Language and Cross-culture Trainers and Coordinators to plan and conduct sessions linking technical and language learning in all areas of Peace Corps training. Assist with implementation of the integrated training curriculum as appropriate (including such areas as Communication, Cross-Cultural and American Diversity, Personal Safety and Emotional and Physical well-being, RVID (role of volunteer in development), Technical, and PC policies).
Utilizing adult learning methodology: Design and facilitate sessions using hands-on and practical activities incorporating the experiential learning cycle. Supervise trainees in demonstration plot and related field activities, provide coaching and feedback, and evaluate Trainees' facilitation and presentation skills.
Reports and Documentation: Prepare and submit to the Training Manager progress reports and the end-of-training (EOT) report on the technical component. In the EOT report include a description of the program, recommendations for improvement, a written session plan for each training session, and copies of all handouts used. Prepare all required Trainee assessment documentation and program evaluation reports.
Other: Perform other duties as necessary and assigned by Training Officer for the efficient functioning of the training project.
- University advanced degree (at least MSc or equivalent) in livestock/animal production, animal sciences or related field;
- Knowledge of agriculture economics and farm planning/management;
- Field experience of integrated farming practices (Agro-sylvo-pastoral systems) to overcome natural resources' degradation due to unsustainable land use systems;
- Knowledge of the agropastoral/environment context of Cameroon;
- Experience in small livestock management (poultry, piggery, fish farming, and honey bee keeping will be an advantage)
- Knowledge and working experience of the different agro-ecological zones of Cameroon;
- Demonstrated facilitation skills in applying adult learning methodology;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Demonstrated superior writing and reporting skills (in English);
- Experience working in cross-cultural settings and familiarity with diversity of American and Cameroonian cultures;
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants for the position must submit:
- A letter of motivation addressing your qualifications (reflecting the required qualifications cited above);
- Current resume or curriculum vitae,
- together with three (03) references capable of attesting to your work performance (at least one reference must be a supervisor).
Applications may be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate "Animal Production Technical Trainer” in the subject line. OR hard copy applications may be mailed to:
Country Director, Peace Corps B.P 215 Yaoundé
No telephone calls or personal visits. All documents, including your telephone number must be received by June 10, 2016. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by telephone.