Job Title: Project Accountant
Location: Yaounde/ Bertoua Cameroon
Reports to: Country Director
Nascent Solutions, Inc. (Nascent) is an international humanitarian and development non-profit organization founded in 2004. The mission of the organization is to build capacity for vulnerable people, especially women and youth in rural Africa for self-sufficiency.
Nascent is seeking a suitably qualified Accountant to support the implementation of a UNHCR-funded program designed to prevent Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) among CAR refugees in the Adamaoua and East Regions of Cameroon. The Project Accountant will oversee the management of project resources, and ensure compliance with UNHCR and Nascent finance policies and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Accountant shall be responsible for the following duties:
- Manage project funds and all finance aspects of the project
- Manage project accounts, including monthly bank reconciliation and analyses of bank withdrawals, currency conversion, cash remittances, cash advances and field advances
- Record all financial transactions into Nascent QuickBooks System, and submit timely expense reports each month
- In consultation with Country Director, program staff and the logistics officer staff, prepare monthly cash requirements
- Review project expenditures for approval
- Review and consolidate monthly financial reports for accuracy, expense allocation and ensure all transactions are adequately supported, documented, and recorded in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Support the Country Director regarding annual budget preparation, monitoring, reporting, and revisions related to the program and work plan (realignments) as required
- Prepare ad hoc, monthly, quarterly, and/or annual financial reports in collaboration with the Country Director and Nascent HQ finance officer
- Process local payroll and administer benefits plan
- Report and communicate with HQ staff and donors as required
- Certify the accuracy of financial reports and integrity of financial documents submitted for payment, to HQ and or to donors.
- Monitor project budgets including general ledger accounts to ensure that the line item budgets are not exceeded without prior authorization from donor or HQ
- Analyze monthly or quarterly fluctuations in assigned accounts for internal reporting and propose necessary adjusting entries
- Respond to financial information requests
- University degree in business management, finance, ACCA or CIMA certification
- Excellent written and spoken
- At least 3 years working in an international NGO, bank, or preferably with International Development Agency
- Knowledge of US Government rules and regulations to include OMB Circulars, A-133, A110; A122; CFRs preferred
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills. Ability to think critically and creatively.
- Must work well individually and as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office for Windows (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, etc)
- Knowledge of QuickBooks or similar accounting package required.
- Excellent communication, time management and interpersonal skills with ability to follow through
- Proficiency in English and French a Plus
Interested candidates are advised to submit a résumé and a cover letter as MS Word attachments to email@example.com by November 30, 2013.
Nascent is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally-protected characteristic.