Main objective and tasks
Main purpose of the position:
The Protection Officer is responsible for the technical supervision and coordination of all protection-related activities under the supervision of the Project Manager/Programme Manager/Head of Base. S/he will ensure that training and capacity building needs of field protection staff are timely addressed and that the protection services and activities meet quality standards in the sector.
- Provide technical guidance and support to protection staff, ensuring quality in the implementation of activities and services as well as the adherence to protection standards.
- Regularly verify the status of the case management database, conduct case reviews and provide feedback to the Case Workers.
- Regularly verify the status of the data collection, conduct field visits and provide feedback to Protection Monitoring Team Leader and Protection Monitors
- Organize regular and ad hoc case management meetings with Case Workers Team Leader and Workers, to discuss complex cases and general challenges in their tasks.
- Conduct regular case audits, to ensure that cases meet and maintain compliance with established SoPs and minimum standards in case management and protection monitoring.
- Promote good standards in all GBV interventions, ensuring survivor-centered case management and psychosocial support services as well as the safe and ethical collection, storage, analysis and sharing.
- Support the PM and field coord to develop training modules and provide regular training and mentoring to field staff and key partners on case management, psychosocial support and for vulnerable groups (including persons with disabilities).
- Organize regular and meetings with Protection Monitor related colleagues, to discuss general challenges in their tasks and identification of protection cases.
- Review data and information collected during protection monitoring and compile regular protection reports highlighting gaps, concerns and trends to inform future programming.
- Provide guidance to the Outreach team in the planning and implementation of participatory community activities, awareness sessions and campaigns and in the general communication with communities.
- Identify capacity building needs of protection staff assessing their knowledge and skills and accordingly provide learning opportunities through trainings, workshops and/or simulation exercises.
- Meaningfully engage local partners and community members, particularly women and girls, in all aspects of implementation, and monitoring in order to maintain inclusive programs, contextual relevance, and sustainability.
- Support the Protection Coordinator in developing and/or updating protection tools and training material to meet projects requirement.
- Develop technically sound work plans and activities consistent with project goals and objectives in coordination with GBV staff.
- Support the Project Manager/Programme Manager in developing required donor reports, providing relevant insights on protection related issues.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant partners and other project stakeholders working in the project areas.
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings, as requested by the supervisor.
- Ensure punctual support to other projects INTERSOS in the area of responsibility: access, liaison, ideas and implementation, especially with the actors and stakeholders involved in the regular conduction of his/her duties.
Technical and behavioral competencies required
- Strong technical knowledge in general protection (i.e. protection monitoring, case management, psychosocial support activities)
- Analytical and reporting skills.
- Respect and adherence to protection principles
- Capacity to work under pressure, flexibility.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills