Title: Associate Manager, Congo Basin
Unit: Programs, Planning & Assessment
SubUnit: RA-Cert, Reports To: Manager, Africa
Location: Cameroon - Yaounde
Full timeThe Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. With offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about.Position
The Associate Manager, Congo Basin, will be responsible for providing technical leadership in the sub-region to include overseeing staff and teams that provide certification services for the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), legality verification, carbon, agriculture and other services to Rainforest Alliance clients. S/he also provides administrative project management, monitoring of certification and verification jobs and assisting the Regional Manager in developing new clients. The position provides the day-to-day operational management of the sub-region, including portfolio management, financial and other management.
Marketing and Sales
- Work with the Manager to develop the strategic and business plans for the region with additional special emphasis on entering new markets and adding new Rainforest Alliance services in the region;
- Directly market Rainforest Alliance certification and verification services to commercial, community-based forestry, governments, forest products, agriculture agricultural products clients;
- Work with the Manager to develop and meet sales and business targets for Rainforest Alliance certification and verification services in the region; and
- Provide certification client leads to the appropriate regional office in connection with global markets.
- Ensure that customer service is delivered to current and interested clients in the sub-region, to include but not limited to, information about certification, and guidance on certification process, trademark use, marketing etc.
- Serve as direct supervisor of the teams responsible for forestry certification scoping, assessments and audits. This includes job budgeting, service contracts, team identification and contracts, report review, liaison with clients in assessment and report review, peer review identification and contract, finalizing assessment reports to be uploaded to SalesForce;
- Be familiar with all Rainforest Alliance certification and verification policies and procedures relating to Rainforest Alliance services and provide input from the region in policy development and technical improvements to the certification system;
- Ensure that staff, representatives and consultants follow and implement the technical and administration certification protocols, with particular attention to RA-Cert's Engagement Risk Management Procedures, in the sub-region;
- Work with the Quality Assurance (QA) team to identify technical and administrative quality issues and to improve quality of auditors, staff and consultants;
- Ensure that preliminary advice to customers regarding trademark use and direct first response to potential trademark misuse in the region is maintained in coordination with CQS department and Rainforest Alliance Trademark Agents;
- Identify and increase the pool of qualified representatives, consultants and auditors; and
- Provide direct first response to complaints and disputes relating to active certification assessments and clients.
Manage Certification Jobs
- Serve as lead auditor for pre-assessments, assessments and audits for certification and verification services in a high risk region; and
- Write, review and approve certification assessment and audit reports for certification and verification services.
Partnerships and Representation
- Serve as the Rainforest Alliance representative with government, industry and NGOs in the sub-region;
- Work with internal staff to ensure that training needs are met for representatives and consultants for all Rainforest Alliance certification and verification services and in Rainforest Alliance administration requirements; and
- Collaborate with the Manager and Senior Management Team to identify, recommend and assist to develop new alliances, including MOU representatives and in-country government, industry and NGOs in all target countries.
- Finance, Operations Management and Certification SystemsProvide support with the following:
- Management of support staff;
- Financial management of the region;
- General office administration;
- and Other tasks as assigned.
This position will oversee employees: Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor degree in Natural Resource Management, Agriculture, Economic/Business Development or related field; Advanced degree preferred;
- Minimum 7 years of field experience in natural resources management, agriculture/related industry and/or economic development;
- Lead auditor trained in FSC, Agriculture, ISO or other certification protocol required;
- Project management (e.g. planning, management, evaluation), experience in marketing and sales and strong analytical skills required; Business management skills a plus;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in French and English language required;
- Excellent French writing, editing and verbal communication skills required;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals required;
- Strong computer skills (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets and presentations);
- Detail-oriented individual with strong organizational management and development skills to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner required;
- Knowledge of and commitment to environmental and socio-economic issues and sustainability practices; and
- Ability and willingness to travel a minimum of 40% per year, nationally and internationally.
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in Cameroon will be considered.
Application: Send resume, cover letter and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.