|Status:||Open (currently receiving applications)|
|Unit:||Administration et Finances|
|Organization:||International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)|
|Location:||Cameroon Country Programme Office, Yaoundé, Cameroon|
|Reporting to:||Administration and Finance Officer|
|Expected start date:||01 September 2013|
|Type of contract:||Fixed-term (until 30 August 2014)|
|Closing date:||05 August 2013|
Our mission: “To influence, encourage & assist societies throughout the world to conserve the integrity & diversity of nature & to ensure that any use of natural resources is equitable & ecologically sustainable.”
IUCN is a world leader in developing knowledge and understanding for effective conservation action. A unique worldwide partnership, IUCN brings together states, government agencies & NGO members, & some 10,000 scientists & experts from 181 countries in a global web of networks to provide a neutral forum for dialogue & action on environment & sustainable development issues.
The Regional Office for Central and West Africa has over 200 staff members working in its offices in Burkina Faso, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Mauritania, Senegal, Niger, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Gabon, DR Congo and Republic of Congo. The IUCN Regional Office for Central and West Africa is located in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
Under the direct supervision of the Administration and Finance Officer, the Receptionist and Office Assistant is responsible for maintenance, facilitation of communication systems and management of the library within the Country Programme. He performs secretarial and other duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. The Receptionist and Office Assistant performs secretarial functions at the Program Unit.
- Arrange and communicate appointments for Country Programme staff and clients,
- Type, format and dispatche correspondences of the office and coordinates with Operations Officer for delivery,
- Ensure confidentiality of correspondences and files them accordingly.
- Circulate routine information to all staff,
- Update office notice board on a regular basis,
2. Provide administrative support to the office
- Facilitate efficient flow of communication. Screens incoming calls, properly handles and (if necessary) diverts to concerned party,
- Receive visitors properly and attends/refers concerns immediately,
- Operate effectively electronic communications system (facsimile, telephone)
- Maintain and update central file system,
- Ensure proper control of in/out and dispatch mails through a logbook,
- Receive newspapers/other subscription materials and request for payment,
- Make photocopies as per request and manage the photocopying machine
- Make sure office central door is open and locked on time,
3. Provide adequate support in the management of the library.
- Make sure the library is well equipped with books,
- Receive, register and classify books, periodicals, newspapers for the library,
- Follow up the
electronics system put in place to manage the center and insure its maintenance,
- Manage on-site reading, rent, dispatching of periodicals, books, newspapers, etc.,
- Manage public access to the library by planning and monitoring opening and closing hours,
- Organize library so as to facilitate easy access of the public to documents,
- Ensure visibility of the library in particular and that of IUCN in general,
- Update database of the library and issue at least two times a year, an exhaustive list of documents,
- Organize the library archives,
- Publish monthly a list of new documents in shelves and inform all stakeholders within the Country Programme as well as its partners,
- Adequately dispatch all IUCN and Partners’ releases,
- Trace out all trends in relation to nature resources conservation and distribute them accordingly,
- Update the webpage of the library on the PACO website after approval of the Supervisor,
- Develop and make sure there is a photo database of office activities,
- Make sure staff respect IUCN rules regarding publication and make sure they are well versed into,
- Monitor and evaluate library performances, by producing statistics on frequentation, rate of growth of documents, statistics over documents distributed, analysis of the email box of the library,
- Write monthly report of activities of the library,
- Create and manage the suggestion box for the library,
- Perform any other duty as per request.
- University Degree plus two years experience or Two years University Certificate (i.e. HND- DEUG) plus four years experience in public relations, translation, bilingual letters, communication, documentation, or equivalent,
- Computer skills (Microsoft suite),
- Ability to use general office equipment such photocopiers, printers etc…,
- Good experience in the use of documentation software,
- Good knowledge of HTML or Dreamweaver,
- Good experience in updating websites;
- Sound command of English and French,
- Have similar experience in an international environment,
- Be proactive,
- Be team oriented,
- Be results focus,
- Possess time management skills,
- Have planning and organization skills,
- Have ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.