Employment type : Full time, Contract
Professional level : Managerial
Education requirements : Master's degree
Location : Yaounde, Centre, Cameroon
Contract Period: April 10, 2014 – April 10, 2015
Heartland Alliance International (HAI) seeks a Capacity Building Advisor to support the upcoming, USAID-funded, Continuum of Prevention, Care, and Treatment (CoPCT) for HIV/AIDS with Most-at-risk Populations (CHAMP-Cameroon). Recruitment contingent upon successful award of the project.Cameroonian and international applicants encouraged to apply.
Organizational Background: Heartland Alliance International (HAI) is a service-based human rights organization with a mission to secure the rights and well-being of marginalized people and communities. HAI is committed to protecting and promoting the rights of extremely vulnerable populations through an inclusive approach to comprehensive health and social and economic justice. HAI is an affiliate of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a Chicago-based organization that has been promoting human rights and dignity for 125 years.
Summary: The Capacity Building Advisor will support the program's effort to strengthen the capacity of Cameroonian organizations to implement comprehensive HIV prevention, care and support programming for key populations in Cameroon.
The overall purpose of the CHAMP Cameroon is to contribute to the Cameroon HIV/AIDS National Strategic Plan, 2011-2015, that aims to reduce HIV/STI-related morbidity and mortality, and alleviate its socioeconomic impact on the development of the country. CHAMP Cameroon will support the government to address these gaps through the expansion of services to the marginalized populations especially key populations including MSM, CSW, and their clients.
CHAMP-Cameroon is a five-year project for a total cost estimate of $18.8 million. CHAMP will achieve the 3 following main and interconnected results:
- Technical competence of partners in key populations program design and management using CoPCT is increased;
- Enabling environment for key populations HIV/AIDS programming is strengthened;
- Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement, Monitoring and Evaluation systems in CoPCT is strengthened.
The Capacity Building Advisor is responsible for oversight of all capacity building components of the project.The successful candidate will provide technical assistance in organizational development and management of project partners. S/he will implement the project's strategy for the coordination and strengthening of all training and capacity building activities.
S/he should be able to clearly demonstrate her/his understanding of the current scientific literature and global state-of-the-art knowledge in innovative HIV/AIDS prevention programming for MARP populations. An understanding of the sociocultural issues and nuances of working in such communities is highly desirable. S/he should have considerable experience and technical expertise working with community-based organizations, NGOs, and host-country governments
- Development of curricula,
- Recruitment and coordination of trainers,
- Logistical arrangements for training sessions,
- Implementation of all orientation and sensitization activities for government and other stakeholders,
- Strengthening activities of the GRC systems as well as the drop-in-centers and Centers of Excellence
- Plan and coordinate all South-to-South exchanges including other organizations within Cameroon to come and learn from the Centers of Excellence, as well as send relevant staff to visit other models of service delivery for key populations in other West and Central African countries.
- At least 10 years of experience in capacity building, human resource development, and training in Africa, ideally in francophone West and Central Africa
- Master's degree in one of the following or a related field: Anthropology, Behavior Change Communications, Public Health Education, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Community Development, Social or Community Psychology, Public Health and International Communications required
- Experience in curriculum development, adult learning theories, and measurement of training and capacity building outcomes
- Experience in developing a capacity building plan
- Experience in measuring capacity building achievements
- Ability to manage South to South exchanges including planning and coordinating visits
- Fluency in speaking, reading and writing both English and French desired
To learn more about this position and to apply, please visit:
- Please note that we do not consider resumes sent by email, fax or postal mail.