This position is open to nationals of the Cameroon. The assignment may require travel from time to time.
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an International Financial Institution and a Specialized United Nations Agency whose mission is to enable poor rural people to overcome poverty. IFAD's headquarters is in Rome, Italy, and is present in more than 80 countries to develop and finance programmes and projects aimed at increasing agricultural productivity and incomes. The Programme Management Department (PMD) is responsible for the overall lending programme of the Fund, and is composed of five (5) regional divisions and a Technical Advisory Services Division . The West and Central Africa Division (WCA) is handling with the lending programme and strategic and policy dimension of this region.
Date of issue: 11/03/2014
Deadline for applications: 10/04/2014
Duration of Assignment: 2 years (renewable)
Duty Station: Yaounde, Cameroon
Purpose of Position
Under the overall supervision of the Country Programme Manager (CPM), the Country Programme Officer (CPO) for Cameroon will represent IFAD on a full-time basis to establish contacts and a regular flow of information between IFAD and the Government and Development Partners. The CPO will:
- contribute to the implementation of the result-based COSOP;
- provide implementation support to management of the IFAD-financed projects;
- improve knowledge management of innovations that improve the livelihoods of the poor and other disadvantaged groups in a sustainable manner;
- engage in policy dialogue in order to develop an enabling environment for sustainable pro-poor development; and
- promote partnership with government institutions, private sector, civil society, UN agencies and other donors.
The Country Programme Officer is a National Professional Officer (NPO) and is expected to perform functions of a professional nature requiring local knowledge and experience. Such functions are related to the overall efforts of IFAD within the UN Common System to increase capacity-building and sustainable development in developing countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Country Programme Manager (CPM), and as a member of the Country Programme Team, the CPO will be responsible for the following functions:
- Programme development, supervision and implementation support:
- Lead knowledge management activities:
- Policy Development
- Country Office Management:
Education and experience:
- Advanced University degree in rural development, agriculture, agricultural economics, rural finance, development policy or related disciplines.
- Relevant post qualification professional experience (in development institutions and/or government service). At least five years' experience in country programme design, supervision and loan/grant administration with International Financial Institutions/Development Cooperation Agencies;
- Good knowledge of policy oriented, programme based pro-poor approaches, and loan and grant preparation;
- Knowledge of rural project management and market development an asset;
- Field experience related to rural development;
- Excellente knowledge of English, including the ability to set out a coherent argument in presentations and group interactions.
- Teamworker: you have the capability to foster and coordinate teamwork; and establish harmonious working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Self-developer/Innovator: you are willing to learn, share and acquire new competencies and seek new challenges by exploring new approaches.
- Performer: You will be able working against an agreed outcome and priorities. You will seek performance feedback from supervisors and support staff in the performance review in a constructive and objective manner.
- Negotiator and communicator: You will work effectively with others to meet mutual goals. You will negotiate to align parties and build networks. You will engage in audiences, commanding attention and respect and inspiring credibility. You will write clearly, succinctly and convincingly listens and communicates effectively to engage others.
Languages and other skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Very good knowledge of French, including the ability to set out a coherent argument in presentations and group interactions, is desirable.
- Capacity to communicate fluently with different stakeholders (civil society, government authorities, local communities, project staff);
- Computer skills: Full command of Microsoft applications (word, excel, power point) and common internet applications will be required.
Detailed job description available at IFAD Job Website at http://www.ifad.org/job/index.htm The applicants are required to complete IFAD PHF and apply on-line via the web site by 10 April 2014.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for final assessment(i.e. interview and technical written exam)