Date: Jan 17, 2014
Location: Cameroon - Non Location Specific, CMJob Category: Operations
Location: Cameroon - Non Location Specific, CM
Job ID: 814682-134049
Division: Cloud and Enterprise Engineering
This Job is eligible for the following work arrangements :TeleWork
Global Foundation Services is the team behind the cloud. GFS is responsible for delivering over 200 Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the network that powers the world’s largest online services.
Are you interested in strategic and proactive activities aimed at detecting and resolving incidents and issues quickly? Are you passionate about leading a critical operational function for one of the world’s largest networks? If so, we're looking for you! We are on a top talent search. If you have the skills of a Senior Program Manager and are interested in becoming a major contributor to the world’s greatest software company, this position could be for you. Come and be a key player of our Global Networking Services Operations team. The environment is fluid, constantly changing, challenging, and fast paced. You will work on the latest technology in an environment that encourages growth and development.
Role & Responsibilities
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for defining, driving and executing on the comprehensive end-to-end strategy for effective network monitoring and manageability. This includes but is not limited to defining the scope, toolset, thresholds, measurements and metrics, reporting and analysis, and associated actions. This person will ensure the services delivered by Networking and the expectations of its customers are always in synch through the management of succinct workflow processes and the constant assessment of key data points.
• Own, develop, publish and update the end-to-end GFS Network monitoring strategy for Global Networking Services. Overall objective is to detect production impacting issues quickly, minimize incident and outage time and ensure compliance to all Security and Operational standards. This includes but is not limited to:
a. Capacity Management
b. Configuration Management
c. Device Up/down (SNMP Traps)
d. Gray failure detection (abnormal behaviors)
e. Congestion or impacting latency internet/MPLS backbone
f. Thresholds and detection strategy
g. Event correlation
h. Alarming, Ticketing and reporting strategy
• Monitoring GAP Analysis leveraging both quantifiable and qualitative data sources
• Coordinate efforts for network manageability/monitoring across the broader GFS organization as well as to Properties such as OSD, BOS and Azure in providing/sharing activities and solutions
• Ensure delivery of core/key monitoring metrics such as:
a. Mean Time to Detect (MTTD)
b. Time to Engage for all monitored devices
c. Alert to Ticket ratio
d. Incident to Monitor ratio
e. Ticketing ratio for high priority alarms
f. Network Health
• Provide routine analysis of monitoring effectiveness across all GNS.
a. Publish weekly monitoring results, trends and perform trending and analysis for chronic issue resolution
b. Meaningful quality charts, and regular scorecard generation exposing core KPIs
• Define the Toolset required for end-to-end monitoring and ensure the toolset is the most effective and efficient across the suite of monitoring activity for GNS.
• Ensure alarms are not artificially suppressed, that false alarms are minimized and that alarms and tickets are auto-expedited to the most appropriate individual in Operations.
• Collaborate effectively across Networking/Shared Services and all GFS stakeholders, ensuring adherence to standards and procedures.
• Drive continual improvements to operational processes and technology
• Develop requirements and automation techniques to improve efficiencies, enable scale and reduce costs over time
Skills & Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have experience in Network Engineering, Program Management and Manageability and Monitoring. If you have a passion for creating, sustaining, and improving emerging techniques to drive high quality network and are looking for an opportunity to support more than 300 online properties, then we are looking for you!
This is a key position that will require frequent contact with Peers, Managers, Directors, Sr. Directors, and GMs within GFS and Microsoft. As such, the successful candidate is a dynamic leader with a track record of identifying and developing strong relationships, assessing KPI driven services and developing improvements based on data, and directly contributing to successful internal and external partnerships for the team and the larger organization.
- Broad-based skill set across software, hardware, networking and internet technologies including enterprise network design.
- Working knowledge of SQL, EMC Smarts, HP Truecontrol strongly preferred
- Exceptional event correlation and trending skills
- Expert knowledge of Network Monitoring practices, procedures and tools
- Strong interpersonal communications skills, effective documentation skills
- Experienced ITIL and MOF based process development and implementation skills
- Leadership skills to drive and influence others across multiple organizations
- Working experience of Security fundamentals
- Proven problem resolution, judgment, negotiating and decision making skills along with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills developing business requirements for improvement and automation, including the ability and capability to write scripts.
- At least 5 years of Operational data networking experience in a high availability environment
- At least 5 years of Operational experience in Monitoring and Manageability
- 5+ years of Project and Program management experience and skillset
- Knowledge of MPLS, OSPF, and BGP