OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates / All Sources
POSITION: Receptionist/Switchboard Operator
CLOSING DATE: Aug 04, 2017
WORK HOURS: Full time, 40 hours/week
The U.S. Mission in Yaounde, Cameroon is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position Receptionist/Switchboard Operator. This position is located in Yaounde, Cameroon.
BASIC FUNCTION OF THE POSITION
Under the direct supervision of the Information Program Officer, incumbent serves as Receptionist/Switchboard Operator. Operates Switchboard Console and portrays a very professional image of the Embassy in placing local and international calls for the mission using the most cost effective manner possible while receiving incoming calls for the mission and directs them to the correct office. Provides information to visitors and callers in directing them to the proper Embassy office for assistance.
RECEPTIONIST/SWITCHBOARD OPERATOR: 50% OF TIME
- Receives and attends to all visitors and guests upon their entry into the Embassy. Accepts mail and items from local express companies or other sources brought to the Embassy and keeps them for pickup. Receives and routes messenger envelops and other packages from various sections to other sections within the Embassy.
- Responsible for efficient and professional operation of the Embassy Switchboard. Polite and accurate processing of incoming and outgoing telephone calls. Maintains updated list for other U.S missions, frequently called and important numbers as well as IVG Codes and VSAT numbers.
- Responsible for ensuring all personal local and international calls are logged properly and billing invoices made accordingly. Upon receipt of phone bills, identifies embassy lines, personal calls placed and annotates discrepancies. Responsible for preparing personal international call invoices for forwarding to Budget for processing.
ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES/ OFFICE SUPPORT: 40% OF TIME
Responsible for the receipt of all incoming ADM centralized file material. Maintains unclassified files in the central file room. Reviews material to be filed, determines filing classification in accordance with established filing system, and files the material. Locates material in files upon request. Periodically assists in purging files. Receives instruction in files classification, need for cross-referencing and subdivision of files, and in agency activities and functions. Locates material that has been stored or retired. Consolidates files, and establishes new files and file categories. Conducts records inventories. Maintains an up-to-date master file of all. Maintains the Administrative Notices, Memoranda, security Notices
Basic Secretarial duties:
Schedules meetings, appointments and maintains the Management Officer's calendar. Receives and escorts all official visitors to Management office. Requests/arranges transportation, expediter and hotel reservation for Management officer and visitors. Coordinates support for official visitors to the section. Requisitions office supplies, repairs on office equipment, and printing services. Provides reminders and background material for appointments and meetings and making arrangements for larger meetings/conferences.
Typing and other duties:
Types a variety of narrative and tabular materials such as correspondence, memorandums, reports, rosters, charts, tables, and narrative texts in English or another language. The materials typed require a high degree of accuracy in typing, and arrangement in accordance with established correspondence practices. Performs clerical work of a routine and repetitive nature, requiring a working knowledge of established office procedures and practices. Examples include processing bills, receipts, shipping documents, and administrative reports; compiling recurring reports, and administrative reports; compiling recurring reports from office records and other readily available materials; tabulating and posting data from source documents to work sheets or records and performing simple arithmetical procedures.
Performs other duties as assigned 10% OF TIME
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- EDUCATION: Completion of secondary school is required.
- EXPERIENCE: At least two years of receptionist/switchboard operator experience in a large company or international organization.
- LANGUAGE: Level IV (Fluency) Speaking/Reading/Writing English and level III (Good Working Knowledge) speaking/reading/writing of French are required. (This will be tested.)
- SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Good interpersonal and customer service skills as well as computer literacy. Must be able to use MS Word, Excel and Access. (Skills and abilities will be tested)
- JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have a good knowledge of office and secretarial duties. Must have knowledge of basic Cameroon protocol in order to address requests of high-ranking government officials or their representatives. Must have knowledge of the organization's functions.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174), which is available on our website or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above);
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
WHERE TO APPLY:
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 817, Tel.: 222-201-500, Ext 4006, U.S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
- E-mail Address: email@example.com
- Indicate the position title on the subject line.