Closing Date: December 21, 2017
Work Hours: Full time, 40 hours/week
The U.S. Mission in Yaounde, Cameroon is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Plumber. This position is located in Yaounde, Cameroon.
Basic Function of the Position
Under the direct supervision of the Electrical/Mechanical Supervisor and the work guidance of the Plumber Foreman, the incumbent performs journeyman level plumbing work, including installation and preventive maintenance at the Embassy compound and all other U.S. Government properties in Yaounde and Douala. He/She works as scheduled in rotation basis as duty technician on 24 hours basis.
Detailed Duties and Responsibilities for Plumber:
85% of Time
- Installs, maintains and repairs of irrigation systems, bathroom fixtures, kitchen sinks, water heaters, drainage pipes, water filters, water tanks, water pumps, water lines for washing machines, landscaping system, chiller water lines and pumps, fire suppression water lines, fire pump, irrigation system, water treatment and filtration system etc. Utilizes materials such as putty, packing plastic pipes, galvanized pipes, aluminum and copper pipes. Maintains and repairs toilets, toilet flushers, blockage of drain and sanitary lines. Repairs and maintains distillers (Plumbing section).
- Identifies problems of leakages, blockages in water feed lines, drainage lines, sewage lines and septic tanks. Identifies repair parts needed and follow up to obtain parts and complete work. Responsible for safe and correct use of tools.
- Installs and repairs gas ranges, ensuring lines are functional and safe.
- Installs repairs and performs preventive maintenance on sewage system, fire suppression system, irrigation system, water distillers, water filters, hot water heaters, water tanks and pumps. Special attention to preventive maintenance on swimming pool equipment.
10% of Time
- Performs preventive maintenance on their workshop equipment
5% of Time
- Provides support to other crafts as needed and performs other duties as assigned
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
Education: Completion of elementary school and a 4-year plumbing diploma (CAP or equivalent) in a technical or vocational school or any recognized institution is required.
Experience: At least two years of journeyman plumbing work experience in a large institution or international organization is required.
Language: Level II (Basic Knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing English and level II (Basic Knowledge) Speaking/Reading French are required. (This will be tested)
Skills and Abilities: The incumbent should be able to safely use a variety of plumbing tools such as pipe threading machines, soft welding, etc.; diagnose plumbing problems quickly; and lift 50 pounds unassisted. He/She must have a valid driver's license (category B) and must be capable to drive. (Skills and abilities may be tested.)
Job Knowledge: Applicant must be able to read and understand plumbing schematics on installation and repairs. He/She must have full journeyman knowledge of established practices and procedures of the plumbing trade. Good knowledge of lead poisoning and special material conductivity is essential. (Job knowledge may be tested.)
How to Apply:
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174), which is available on our website or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above);
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Where to Apply:
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 817, Tel.: 222-201-500, Ext 4006, U.S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
- E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indicate the position title on the subject line.