Position: Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Technician
Closing Date: December 21, 2017
Work Hours: Full time, 40 hours/week
The U.S. Mission in Yaounde, Cameroon is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of HVAC Technician. This position is located in Yaounde, Cameroon.
Basic Function of the Position
Under the direct supervision of the Electrical/Mechanical Supervisor and the work guidance of the HVAC Foreman, the incumbent performs journeyman level AC work including, installation, maintaining and reparation of all air handling equipment, maintaining and repairing all chillers and associated pumping systems. The jobholder installs, maintains, and repairs all HVAC related items including duct work and air conditioners. He/She works as scheduled in rotation basis as duty technician on 24 hours basis.
Detailed Duties and Responsibilities for HVAC Technician:
95% of Time
- Operates, inspects, maintains and troubleshoots chilled water air-conditioning systems to include condensers, evaporators, centrifugal compressors, fan coils and air handler systems. Does welding, soldering and brazing of copper tubing and piping. Estimates material needed and is responsible for safeguarding materials and all tools used. Is responsible for safety during the use of materials and tools. Ensures clean-up of work areas and all equipment. Ensures cooperation with and timely response to other technicians, such as masons, to ensure speedy completion of tasks. Monitors own performance, ensuring that jobs are done correctly and professionally, and performs tasks as assigned by the Facility Manager. Does work on air handlers. Provides PM on specialized refrigerant equipment. Provides assistance on generator electrical installations. Repairs and maintains air compressors. Makes sure necessary tools, equipment and material are used to complete assigned tasks. Is responsible for safety in the use of materials and tools. Services, repairs and maintains washing machines, dryers and gas or electric stoves. Must demonstrate complete competency in HVAC, BAS, Chilled water systems, pumping and distribution systems, heat exchangers, related drawings, operation and maintenance manuals, spare parts research, and stocking.
- Reviews Chillers, Control Panels, System Pumps required spare parts manuals and queries three vendors for prices based upon manufacturer part numbers and provides this information to procurement through the e-services purchase request form, then follows up with Procurement to ensure purchase and delivery.
- Maintains accurate run hour log, repair log, water addition log, chemical addition log, analyze internal working condition of each chiller to aide Facility Manager and Supervisors in identifying weak locations where problems will be forth coming.
- Performs diagnostic inspections on all external components of each chiller and internal diagnostic and in depth repair on the same.
- Installs new Split Pack Units and make sure proper installation practices are followed to include proper vacuuming times, proper system clean out times, and materials are used for replacement compressors. Makes sure recovery systems are utilized and properly maintained.
- Trouble shoots all AC/Chilled Water systems/AHU/FCU problems, properly diagnosing faults and identifying what parts require replacement before failure.
- Fabricates new sheet metal ductwork as required. Installs new pipe insulation as required. Install new metallic and plastic piping and piping devices like pressure gauge snubbers, valves, galvanized pipe and galvanized pipe nipples, copper pipes, Plastic Pipes, and where required Brass Piping or Tubing.
- Installs new Split Pack AC Units, and properly troubleshoots as required.
- Performs infrared scanning on all chiller control panels, electrical sub panels, and electrical items as associated.
- Twice monthly, checks inventory of spare parts on hand, to include spare parts that have had a funded purchase order assigned to a vendor and the status of those spare parts, and orders additional materials.
- in conjunction with Maintenance Supply, keeps a 4-month supply of required critical spare parts readily available inside Maintenance Supply.
- Surveys and ascertains that proper safety equipment is always available and knows how to use.
- Affixes updated tags to each equipment, pressure gauge, differential pressure gauge, temperature gauge, pump and control panel, to show replacement dates.
- Serves as backup to the other crafts as needed.
5% of Time
- Provides support to other crafts as needed and performs other duties as assigned.
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
Education: Completion of Elementary school plus four years HVAC study/training (equivalent of CAP) in a technical or vocational school or any accredited institution is required.
Experience: Two years of Journeyman HVAC technician work experience in an international organization or large institution is required.
Language: Level II (Basic Knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing English and level II (Basic Knowledge) Speaking/Reading French are required. (This will be tested)
Skills and abilities:
Incumbent must be able to:
- use all tools of the trade such as tubing benders, power tools and welding equipment.
- read and interpret operation and safety procedures, understand operational drawings and technical publications and use the measuring/testing equipment, including test manifold, vacuum pumps, avometer digital clamp ampere, air speed gauges and air balance instruments, meager, electric leak detectors, etc.
- work independently
- perform all job activities and duties in a responsible manner to avoid the creation of safety or health hazards.
- conform to established safety and health policy and procedures.
- properly utilize appropriate personal protective equipment as required by the job activity.
He/She must be capable of performing some heavy physical work; must report unsafe or hazardous conditions; and must inform supervisor of all accidents, illnesses and injuries. The jobholder must have a valid driver's license (category B) and must be capable to drive. (Skills and abilities may be tested.)
Job Knowledge: Incumbent must have full journeyman knowledge of established practices and procedures of the HVAC trade; must have working knowledge of Building Automation and Control Systems; must understand how to install and repair all refrigeration and air conditioning equipment; and must have basic knowledge of Mathematics and other crafts such as masonry and electricity. (Job knowledge may be tested.)
How to Apply:
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174), which is available on our website or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above);
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Where to apply:
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 817, Tel.: 222-201-500, Ext 4006, U.S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
- E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indicate the position title on the subject line.