Position title: Junior Conservation Biologist (JCB)-Lobeke
Reports to: Technical Advisor - Lobeke
Supervises: Junior Field Assistants
Date: August 2016
I. Mission of the Department:
The mission of WWF Cameroon Country Programme Office in the South East region is to ensure sustainable management of natural resources, through participatory management practices involving all stakeholders and contributes to improving the living conditions of the local people. This includes (1) negotiation of macro-zoning plan (with protected area, forest and hunting concessions, agroforestry zone,…), (2) development of basic infrastructure and preparation of management plans for three protected areas (Lobeke, Boumba Bek and Nki) that cover 6,380km² of biologically important moist evergreen and semi-deciduous closed forest, with high densities of elephants, western lowland gorillas, chimpanzees and bongos, (3) support to concessionaries in the implementation of sustainable practices, and (4) assistance in setting in place Community Based Organizations to insure full participation of local population in natural resource management and the contribution of those resources to poverty alleviation.
II. Major Functions:
The JCB is responsible for over all day-to-day implementation of agreed ecological monitoring activities in National Park. In this regard, he works under the direct technical supervision of the Technical Advisor and to some extent, the program technical advisor for related activities. He is also expected to be responsible for all project equipment at his disposal for execution of field activities. He generally assists the Technical Advisor in the implementation of conservation activities in National Park and overall management of the site.
III. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical assistance to the development and implementation of management plan of Lobeke National Park and its surrounding zones ;
- Ensure implementation of ongoing ecological monitoring system in Lobeke NP and its peripheries, with data collection and management following relevant scientific protocols;
- Provide technical support in the development and management of Eco-tourism in Lobeke NP
- Assist in raising local community awareness and participation in conservation issues and project related activities through :
a. Provide technical support to village surveillance committee group (COVILAB) in ecological monitoring within Community Hunting zone;
b. Providing support in managing community hunting zones, especially in the development of sustainable subsistence hunting system;
c. Organisation of local populations for surveillance of National Park;x Assist Conservator and other MINFOF staff in planning and implementation of anti-poaching activities in NPs and surrounding zones;
- Provide technical assistance to logging and hunting concessionaries in sustainable management of forest and wildlife resources;
- Under the supervision of the Technical Advisor, ensure the project's compliance with technical and financial reporting and monitoring/evaluation requirements.
Required Functional Skills
- At least a Bachelor or Engineer Degree in one or more of following domains: Forestry and wildlife, Rural Geography, Eco-tourism, or any related specialization;
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience in one or more of the following domains: (1) management of forest and wildlife resources, (2) rural, community and organizational development, ,
- Good overview of legal and institutional framework in the area of forest and wildlife resources management in Cameroon,
- General knowledge of human environment in East Cameroon is an asset;
- Computer literate, knowledge of data analysis and GIS software;
- Fluency in French and English.
Required Behavioural Skills
- Adheres to WWF's values, which are: Passionate & Optimistic, Challenging & Inspiring, Credible & Accountable, Persevering & Delivering Results;
- Willingness and ability to work in a remote area with low supervision.
V. Working Relationships:
- Collaborate with other key technical staff of the Jengi TNS programme.
- Work closely/collaborate with MINFOF & MINEP services in the South-East Cameroon. He has to collaborate with COVAREF, COVILAB (Village surveillance Committee), and Local NGOs.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
How to apply?
Email a cover letter and a detailed CV to email@example.com.
The subject should read JCB.
Deadline for applications: 11th September 2016
PLEASE Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.