We are looking for a FOREST & CLIMATE COORDINATOR who will be the technical lead and country focal point for Forest/climate related initiatives in WWF-Cameroon. He is responsible for setting the strategic direction of the program, coordinating the implementation of the WWF CCPO strategic plan in the following sub strategies: best forest practices, PES/REDD+ and forest landscape restoration.
Location: Yaounde, Cameroon.
- Manage the implementation of policy strategies and lobbying and advocacy efforts related to forest management, identifying and developing funding opportunities, networking with the forest practices community, acting as representative on technical issues in relevant fora and overseeing the effective coordination, planning, management, implementation and monitoring of projects and activities related to Forest conservation;
- Ensure cohesion of forest/climate related activities within the various WWF field programmes in Cameroon and the alignment within the Forest Practice in coordination with the other practices focal points (Wildlife, food, climate and energy, finance and governance);
- Responsible for WWF interventions in the forestry sector and monitor new development and trends in forest management through the Global Forest and Trade Network and related WWF initiatives and other partnerships with private sector (logging companies and rubber companies…);
- Coordinate WWF CCPO interventions on REDD+, climate, Forest landscape restoration, land-use change dynamics and carbon storage in support to the Government and Yaounde City councils strategies and priorities (NDC, PNACC, AFR100 );
- Facilitate implementation processes of agreed country strategic plan and critical contributions of the country to the global forest goals as agreed in the strategic plan;
- Assume responsibility for the effective administrative and financial management of the program (follow-up of budget implementation, proper use of human, material and financial resources, accurate and timely reporting in compliance with appropriate formats);
- Ensure efficient fundraising for optimal implementation through the effective involvement in GEF and GCF ongoing initiatives and the development of national and cross countries forest and climate initiatives with key technical and financial partners and WWF Nos;
- Ensure the involvement of WWF at national, regional and international level in sustainable Forest management processes;
- Carry out training and staffing needs assessment at all levels;
- Provide technical support to logging companies and small scales enterprises and monitor their programs;
- Strengthen the capacity of the CSOs and CBOs for a better participation in forest and climate related initiatives;
- Facilitate and support alternative livelihoods initiatives and improvement schemes such as marketing of certified forest and non-timber forest products.
What you need:
- Minimum Master's or higher degree in forest conservation related field, including natural resource management, environmental or conservation management, bioregional planning, land use change dynamics, development studies, or other relevant field;
- At least 5 years of experience in project management in an international/national development organization or similar, of which at least 3 years should be in a related field.
Required Skills and Competencies
- In-depth knowledge of REDD+ process, National forest Monitoring Systems, MRV, etc.;
- Experience in working with the private Sector, Government officials, local communities and donors;
- Strategic thinking skills to ensure the program is relevant, networked and impactful;
- Leadership skills to drive the Forest Practice objectives, advocate among peers and partners, support project staff and ensure relevance;
- People management skills including staff support, capacity development and coaching, developing teamwork, negotiation skills and conflict resolution;
- Project management skills including project planning, coordination, time management and logistics;
- Networking, coordination, and facilitation skills for both internal and external audiences and partners;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and diplomatic skills with the ability to manage and interact at all levels of an international, multicultural and multilingual organization;
- Proficient in French and English written and verbal skills;
- Adhere to WWF's values: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
How to apply?
Applications including a cover letter and a detailed resume should be sent electronically to
Deadline for applications: 4th February 2019.
The subject should read “FCC”.
PLEASE Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce!