ARVO Foundation for Eye Research in partnership with the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology is offering research travel fellowships for developing countries applicants. These fellowships are to pursue a career in teaching and research in any area of eye and vision research, whether basic or clinical research in applicants' home countries. Fellowship covers transportation, lodging and per diem, in addition to registration for the ARVO Annual Meeting and complimentary ARVO membership for one year. Complete application should be emailed by December 1, 2014.
Study Subject(s): The candidate can be interested in any area of eye and vision research, whether basic or clinical research, epidemiology, public health, infectious diseases, genetics or a particular subspecialty.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue a career in teaching and research.
Scholarship Provider: ARVO Foundation for Eye Research and the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Scholarship can be taken at: Applicants' home countries
- Candidates must be citizens of a developing country. Candidates should have either an MD or PhD or equivalent professional degree and have a desire to pursue a career in teaching and research in vision and ophthalmology, whether clinical or basic, in their home countries.
- Graduate students in scientific areas with an interest in entering basic vision research or residents in ophthalmology who are interested in academic careers as clinician-scientists are also eligible.
- Candidates cannot be studying or training outside of his/her home country at the time of his/her recommendation for the award. The candidate must be established in his/her home country and currently employed or practicing in a field related to eye and vision research.
- ARVO Members and non-members are eligible. The candidate is not expected to present at his or her initial meeting.
- The candidate cannot have attended an ARVO Annual Meeting in the past. Note: The candidate should have a sufficient command of English in order to participate in the scientific program.
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: Applicants from developing countries (Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belize, Jamaica, Benin, Jordan, Bhutan, Kazakhstan, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bulgaria, Kyrgyz Republic, Burkina Faso, Lao People's Democ. Rep., Cambodia, Lesotho, Cameroon, Liberia, Sudan, Cape Verde, Libya, Suriname, Central African Republic, Macedonia, the F.Y.R. of, Swaziland, Chad, Madagascar, Syrian Arab Republic, China, Malawi, Tajikistan, Colombia, Malaysia, Tanzania, United Republic of, Comoros, Maldives, Thailand, Congo, Democ. Republic of the, Mali, Timor-Leste, Congo, Rep., Marshall Islands, Togo, Costa Rica, Mauritania, Tonga, Côte d'Ivoire, Mauritius, Tunisia, Cuba, Mexico, Turkey, Djibouti, Micronesia, Fed. States of, Turkmenistan, Dominica, Moldova, Tuvalu, Dominican Republic, Mongolia, Uganda, Ecuador, Montenegro, Ukraine, Egypt, Arab Rep., Morocco, Uzbekistan, Burundi, Lebanon, Kenya, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kiribati, Botswana, Korea, Democ. P. Rep. of Brazil, Kosovo, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, El Salvador, Mozambique, Vanuatu, Eritrea, Myanmar, Venezuela, (Bolivarian Republic of), Ethiopia, Namibia, Vietnam, Fiji, Nepal, West Bank and Gaza, Gabon, Nicaragua, Yemen, Gambia, The Niger, Zambia, Georgia, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Pakistan, Grenada, Palau, Philippines, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Iran, Islamic Rep. of, Belarus and Iraq) are eligible for these travel fellowships.
Scholarship Description: ARVO Foundation for Eye Research has partnered with the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology to develop a fellowship that brings investigators from developing countries to the ARVO Annual Meeting and introduces them to the latest trends and developments in eye and vision research. The Fellowship began in 2008 and has since then brought 87 researchers from 34 different countries.
What does it cover? Researchers selected for participation receive an award that covers transportation, lodging and per diem, in addition to registration for the ARVO Annual Meeting and complimentary ARVO membership for one year. To enhance the experience, ARVO members are selected to serve as “mentors” during and after the ARVO Annual Meeting. Along with assistance from the mentors, a welcome breakfast is held to aid the recipients in navigating the Annual Meeting and gives them the opportunity to meet and network with others involved with this fellowship. A breakfast is also held on the final day of the Annual Meeting in order for recipients and mentors to share their experiences.
How to Apply: To be considered for this fellowship for 2015 please contact at: lgalperina-at-arvofoundation.org. Eligible candidates can be recommended and submitted by the following:
- A national society or research institute
- A member of the International Chapter Affiliates Program
- An ARVO member
- A supporter of this fellowship
- A Local/regional conference
Scholarship Application Deadline: The deadline for applications is December 1, 2014.