Applications are invited for Malaysian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) for the students of commonwealth countries to study at the postgraduate level in Malaysia. The scholarship is awarded for up to 12 to 24 months for master courses depending upon the course and up to 3 years for PhD degree. The awards are only applicable for candidates pursuing full-time degree programme in Malaysia. Applications should be submitted till 31st March 2014.
Study Subject (s): Scholarship is provided in field of science and engineering, agriculture and fisheries, economics and Islamic finance, information and communication technology, biotechnology, biosecurity and food safety, infrastructure and utility, environmental studies, health not including nursing, medicine and clinical pharmacy (Applicants may choose any related course within these field/areas).
Course Level: Scholarship is available for pursuing postgraduate degree (Master and PhD) at Malaysian universities.
Scholarship Provider: CSFP endowment fund and Malaysian Government
Scholarship can be taken at: Malaysia
Eligibility: To be eligible for Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP), applicants must fit the following criteria:
- Not be more than 45 years of age during application.
- Obtained a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 at Bachelor Degree Level for Masters Degree applicants and for PhD candidates must possess CGPA 3.5/4.0 or very good result at Masters degree level in a similar field of intended PhD study. In addition, for post-doctoral programme, the selection will be evaluated based on the number of books produced, refereed/non refereed journals, portfolio and patent copyright. The Post-Doctoral candidate must have excellent reputation in research and possesses knowledge related to the research to be carried out.
- Took one of the following English Language Proficiency Test not more than two years before the date of application. The list of tests and minimum scores required: IELTS Academic Test with a score of at least 6.5; or TOEFL paper-based test with a score of at least 580 or computer-based test with a score of at least 230 or internet-based test with a score at least 92.
- In excellent health condition and certified by a Certified Doctor/Medical Professional. The cost of medical examination is to be borne by the applicants.
- Wrote a proposal that is relevant to the needs and interests of Malaysia (research-based programme only).
- Has applied for and gained admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral studies in Malaysia (conditional letters of offer will be accepted at the time of application or has a confirmation of acceptance or affiliation with the universities in Malaysia).
Scholarship Open for International Students: Students of Commonwealth country (Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Cyprus, Dominica, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Island, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom, Vanuatu, Zambia, Cameroon and South Africa) can apply for these Malaysian Commonwealth scholarships.
Scholarship Description: The Malaysian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan are
awarded by the Malaysian
Government to the nominated students from the Commonwealth countries to study at the post-graduate level in Malaysia. This is a Government to Government scheme without any bond imposed by Malaysia. The awards for Master’s degree are between 12 to 24 months depending on the courses. Awards for pursuing PhD degree are for 3 years. The Awards are only applicable for candidates pursuing full-time degree programme in Malaysia.
Duration of award(s): The awards for Master’s degree are between 12 to 24 months depending on the courses. Awards for pursuing PhD degree are for 3 years.
What does it cover? Each scholarship consists of:
- Air tickets from recipient’s capital city to Malaysia
- An approved tuition fees
- Monthly maintenance allowance
- Annual grant for books and internal travel
- Medical / Health Insurance
- Installation and Termination grant
- Thesis allowance
The Government of Malaysia reserves the rights to review the value of awards at any time (and if such changes are made, the value of scholarship will be changed and the effective date will be informed to the successful candidates).
Selection Criteria: Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:-
- High-level academic achievement
- The quality of the research proposal and its potential contribution towards advancement of technology and human well-being.
- Excellent communication, writing and reading skills in English Language.
How to Apply: All applications should be made online through Ministry of Higher Education’s website.
Scholarship Application Deadline: Deadline for application is 31st March 2014.