State Oceanic Administration (SOA) and Ministry of Education of China, China Government are offering Marine scholarship for international students. Scholarships are available for pursuing masters and doctoral degree level at Xiamen University, Zhejiang University, Ocean University of China and Tongji University. Any applicant who is currently engaged in oceanographic and relevant sectors will be given high priority. Every year, from 1st January to 30th April, an applicant may apply to the universities designated by this Scholarship program.
Study Subject(s): Scholarships are provided to learn any of the courses offered by the Xiamen University, Zhejiang University, Ocean University of China and Tongji University.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing masters and doctoral degree level at Xiamen University, Zhejiang University, Ocean University of China and Tongji University.
Scholarship Provider: State Oceanic Administration (SOA) and the Ministry of Education of China, China Government
Scholarship can be taken at: China
Eligibility: -The applicant should be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality in good health, from a coastal/island country of South China Sea, the Indian Ocean, the Pacific and its surround island countries, or an African developing country.
- The applicant must apply for the postgraduate program of ocean-related specialties.
- Any applicant who is currently engaged in oceanographic and relevant sectors will be given high priority.
- The applicant for master’s degree studies is required to have a bachelor’s degree and be usually under the age of 40.
- The applicant for doctoral degree studies is required to have a master’s degree and be usually under the age of 45.
Scholarship Open for International Students: Non-Chinese students can apply for these scholarships.
Scholarship Description: The ocean, covering about 71% of the Earth’s surface, plays a primary role in addressing the climate change and supporting the global economy, trade and livelihood. The sustainable ocean development has direct impact on the development and prosperity of all coastal countries now and in the future. And it has become an inexorable trend worldwide that through international cooperation and exchange we should deepen our understanding of the ocean and promote sustainable ocean development to enhance regional and global economic prosperity. Under this consideration, the State Oceanic Administration (SOA) and the Ministry of Education of China jointly initiate the program of Marine Scholarship of China (hereinafter called the Scholarship) for the purpose of providing financial support to outstanding students from the coastal countries or regions around the South China Sea, the Pacific and the Indian Oceans and African developing countries to study in China for a master’s or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related specialties, cultivating advanced professionals of the related fields for developing countries, enhancing international marine cooperation and exchange, and promoting the harmonious ocean development in the region and around the world. China Scholarship Council (CSC) is in charge of the admissions and routine management of the Scholarship.
Number of award(s): Not Known
Duration of award(s): Candidates for master’s degree: 2-3 years of study with the Scholarship
- Candidates for doctoral degree: 3-4 years of study with the Scholarship
- Scholarship awardees who choose Chinese as the teaching language and request Chinese language training prior to their formal academic studies will receive one-year training and have their scholarship funding extended correspondingly for one year.
- The duration of the Scholarship will be defined upon the student’s admission to the university, and will not be extended in principle. If a student is unable to finish the program for some special reasons, his or her scholarship may be extended until graduation with prior consent of SOA, the university and CSC.
What does it cover? -Exemption from registration fees, tuition fees, laboratory fees, internship fees, and fees for basic learning materials and accommodation on campus
- Living allowance: RMB 1,700 per month for master’s students, and RMB 2,000 per month for doctoral students
- Settlement subsidy: RMB 1,500
- Out-patient medical services and the Comprehensive Medical Insurance for Chinese Government Scholarship Students
- International travel expenses: to be paid by the student
- Extra experiment or internship beyond the teaching program, if requested by the Scholarship student, shall be at the student’s own expense.
- Fees for basic learning materials cover those essential textbooks chosen and provided gratis by the university for the student’s academic program. And apart from these essential materials, other books are at the student’s own expense.
- Living allowance is to be granted by the university on a monthly basis, starting from the date of entrance of the student. For the first month, the students who register before or on the 15th day of the month will receive the allowance in full, and those after the 15th day of the month, in half. The allowance will extend half a month after the specified graduation date designated by the university. As for those who suspend, quit or complete their academic program and return to their own country, the allowance will stop from the next month. The allowance covers the holidays recognized by the university. Those who are away in the holidays and unable to get their allowance in time may receive their dues when return to the university. And as for those who are late for the registration or stay away from the school without any formality of asking for absence for a time longer than one month, the allowance for that month shall be cancelled.
- Those who have to suspend their program because of pregnancy or severe disease must return to their own country for delivery or recovery, and the travel must be at their own expense. Those who have been approved by the school authority to suspend their program, their qualification for the Scholarship may extend for no longer than one year and the allowance will stop during the suspension. But those who suspend their program on other excuses will be disqualified from the scholarship.
- The outpatient medical service covers only outpatient treatment at the university hospital or a hospital designated by the university authority. After the treatment the student needs to pay part of the charge according to related regulations of the university.
- The Comprehensive Medical Insurance for Chinese Government Scholarship Students mainly covers the fees incurred by the student’s inpatient treatment for major illnesses or personal accident. The premium will be prepaid by the university or the designated rescue agency that will go to the insurance company with the receipt for the fees to make the claim. The insurance company will not settle personal claims.
Selection Criteria: Not Known
Notification: Not Known
How to Apply: Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (to be filled out in Chinese or English)
- An applicant is supposed to log on to CSC’s online application system, fill in all the necessary information and then print the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship which will be automatically generated after successful submission.
- The online application system can be found at http://laihua.csc.edu.cn, and the institutional codes of the universities are Xiamen University: 10384, Zhejiang University: 10335, Ocean University of China: 10423, and Tongji University: 10247.
- Photocopy of last degree certificate. Certificates in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
- Academic transcripts. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- The applicant’s study or research plan in China (in Chinese or English).
- Two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by Professors or associate Professors.
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (downloadable from CSC’s website) completed in Chinese or English. The applicant must strictly take all the examination as required by the Form. Leaving a blank or absence of signature of the doctor or seal of the hospital will make the form invalid.
- These application documents will not be returned no matter the application is accepted or not.
Scholarship Application Deadline: Every year, from 1st January to 30th April, an applicant may apply to the universities designated by this Scholarship program.