University of Copenhagen is inviting applications for PhD scholarship. The successful candidate will be working in close cooperation with the other members of the project. It is expected that the successful candidate will be present, part of the team and partake in the activities of the project on a daily basis. The application deadline is September 10, 2015.
Study Subject(s): Scholarship is provided in Adaptationism, Evolution and Engineering at University of Copenhagen.
Course Level: Scholarship is available for pursuing PhD degree level at University of Copenhagen in Denmark.
Scholarship Provider: University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Scholarship can be taken at: Denmark
Eligibility: The successful candidate will be working in close cooperation with the other members of the project. It is expected that the successful candidate will be present, part of the team and partake in the activities of the project on a daily basis.
Scholarship Open for International Students: Danish and international applicants can apply for these scholarships.
Scholarship Description: The Department of Media, Cognition and Communication, Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, invites applications for a 3-year PhD scholarship. The successful candidate will be a member of the research project Living Machines? Prospects and Limitations of the Engineering Approach to the Organism sponsored by the Danish Research Council. The candidate will be expected to begin on November 1, 2015 or as soon as possible thereafter. The general question guiding the research project is how we should understand thinking about organisms as engineered systems? What is the theoretical and practical significance of the machine model of the organism? The project will analyze the engineering approach to living systems in the context of synthetic biology, systems biology, and evolutionary theory. More specifically the project will investigate a cluster of interconnected yet distinct philosophical questions about (1) the fundamental nature of living beings, (2) our understanding and explanation of biological systems, (3) the methods and metaphors used in the life sciences and biotechnology.
Number of award(s): Not Known
Duration of award(s): Not Known
What does it cover? As a PhD student holding a PhD scholarship you are employed as a member of scientific staff in accordance with the collective agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). Your total salary consists of a basic pay rate based on previous academic job experience and a supplement. The basic monthly pay rate for a PhD student is currently (as of April 1, 2013) DKK 24,080 and the PhD supplement is DKK 1257.83 monthly. DKK 3500 montly is paid to a pension scheme. Other allowances might be agreed upon according to the provisions of the collective agreement.
Selection criteria: Not Known
Notification: Not Known
How to Apply: Applications must be submitted via the electronic application system. The following enclosures to the application must be submitted:
- A copy of the applicant's Master's degree diploma and transcript of records
- Bachelor degree diploma and transcript of records
- If the MA diploma and/or examination records are in another language than English, German, French, Danish, Norwegian or Swedish, please include a translation into either of these languages in your application.
- Documentation of English proficiency.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Project proposal (must not exceed 12,000 characters.
- Do not upload ZIP files and do not submit any publications, recommendations or your Master thesis.
- The Faculty will dismiss applications, which do not adhere to the formal requirements.
- Diploma and transcript of records: The translation of diplomas/certificates and transcripts may be made by or approved by either: a state-authorized translator and interpreter, the embassy or consulate of the country where the original document was issued or where the translation was made and a Danish consulate/embassy.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is September 10, 2015.