Applications are invited for the Global Youth Leaders Certificate programme which is a three-week education programme offered at Coady Institute. Applicants from developing countries are eligible to apply for this programme.
This programme enables young development practitioners from developing countries to strengthen their leadership capacities in order to contribute to innovation and change in their organizations and communities.
The Coady International Institute ignites leadership that inspires collaborative effort to address challenges, discover opportunities and create sustainable development at the community level. The Institute is a learning organization dedicated to identifying, developing and disseminating knowledge on effective development practice. As a leader in the study and practice of community-based development, the Coady Institute provides relevant programmes that help others make a positive difference in their own communities.
In order to be eligible applicants must have strong oral and written English language competencies. Candidates who are citizens of countries where English is the language of instruction are not required to provide the documentation.
Course Level: The Global Youth Leaders Certificate is a three-week education programme offered at Coady Institute.
Study Subject: This programme enables young development practitioners from developing countries to strengthen their leadership capacities in order to contribute to innovation and change in their organizations and communities.
Scholarship Award: When a candidate applies for acceptance to the Coady programme, s/he is asked to identify prospective sources of funds to cover all programme-related costs. Once a candidate is accepted into a Coady programme, s/he will be informed of the level of scholarship support offered as well as the balance of costs for which the candidate is responsible.
Scholarship can be taken at: Canada
Eligibility: Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for the Coady educational programme: –
This programme is targeted to young leaders (20-30 years old) from developing countries who are working on development issues. Priority is given to people who:
- Possess a minimum of two years of demonstrated experience in social, environmental or economic development in sectors such as livelihoods or inclusive economic development, food security, environment, access to education and health care, governance, and the rights of girls and women;
- Have great drive and passion for their work, demonstrated through their outstanding contributions in their organizations and communities;
- Are practitioners in civil society organizations including community-based organizations and not-for-profits, or active in public or private institutions, donor/philanthropic agencies, social movements or in a social enterprise/business; AND
- Have strong oral and written English language competencies.
Nationality: Applicants from developing countries (Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde* (Capo Verde), Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, The Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, FYR, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for this programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: For Coady Institute education programmes, applicants must have:
- some experience in a community-based organization, people's organization, government department, intermediary organization, NGO or equivalent
- a good working knowledge of English since all courses are taught in English
- a university degree (preferred) and/or relevant education.
Test Requirements: Applicants to the Diploma in Development are required to submit a written acknowledgement of ability to function within an English learning environment. The following are acceptable documents:
- TOEFL test score of at least 550
- Certificate from another accredited English language institute
- A letter of recommendation attesting to English language ability from an instructor in a recognized institution where English was their language of study
English language Requirements: In order to be eligible applicants must have strong oral and written English language competencies.Candidates who are citizens of countries where English is the language of instruction are not required to provide this documentation.
Supporting Material: Applicants must provide the names of two references who will receive emails from the organisation.
If applicants have not completed their education in English they must provide proof of their ability to speak, write and read English.
How to Apply: The mode of application is online.
Diploma applicants applying for scholarship should complete Part 5 of the application: Organizational Support and Financial Assistance. Each of the two required references should complete Part 2 of the reference form: Information on the Candidate's Development Organization. Certificate applicants applying for scholarship are required to fill out an additional section within the certificate application form. A reference letter is also required. The reference letter should be completed by the director of their organization or a recent employer who is familiar with your work and qualifications for this programme. The letter must include the following information: name of applicant, name of reference, their relationship to the applicant. In addition, the letter must answer these two questions:
- What are the current strengths of the applicant with respect to their work?
- What do student see as the future role of this applicant and how will it benefit their organization?
Application Deadline: Application deadline for admission is March 18, 2016.