Each year, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation funds bill gates scholarship to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding. The Gates Cambridge Trust is looking for students with outstanding academic credentials, demonstrated leadership abilities, a passion to contribute to the improvement of society and a good fit with the graduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying.
Study Subject (s): Scholarships are awarded to study any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree (PhD, MSc or MLitt or one year postgraduate course) in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Scholarship Provider: The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Scholarship can be taken at: UK
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
Curent student at Cambridge? If you are applying for a new postgraduate course you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
For example, if you are currently studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to pursue a PhD. Current Gates Cambirdge Scholars may also apply for a second scholarship if they are applying for a new degree. Current Cambridge students apply and are considered in the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.
However, if you have already started a course you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the remainder of it.
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: Citizens of any country outside the United Kingdom can apply for these bill gates scholarships.
Scholarship Description: The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are one of the most prestigious international scholarship programs in the world. The programme was established in 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university. Gates Cambridge Scholarships are prestigious, highly competitive full-cost financial aid grants. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Number of award(s): Up to 40 Gates Cambridge Scholarships are awarded to US students and up to 55 scholarships are awarded to international students.
What does it cover? A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding. The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is one of the most generous international scholarships available. It covers the following costs:
- the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£14,300 for 12 months at the 2015-16 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- inbound visa costs & associated NHS surcharge costs
Discretionary components: The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding – from £500 to £1,500, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £9,630 for a first child and up to £4,110 for a second child. No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD.
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
Some fourth year funding for PhD Scholars may be provided
Receiving a salary or substantial other scholarship? If you are receiving a salary from an employer or have another substantial scholarship, the Trust reserves the right to reduce or not pay the standard maintenance allowance. You should let the Trust know ASAP if you are awarded any funding towards your degree at Cambridge.
Selection Criteria: Each Scholar is different and brings something unique to the programme. But they are looking for four key criteria:
- Academic excellence
- Leadership potential
- A commitment to improving the lives of others
- A good academic fit with Cambridge
How to Apply: Applicants apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and admission to their chosen postgraduate course at the University of Cambridge and a Cambridge College via the Graduate Admissions Office, using the GRADSAF form and supporting documents. If you are applying for admission to the MBA or Master of Finance programme you apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship via the Judge Business School. To be considered for postgraduate admission and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship all applicants must submit the following documents to the Graduate Admissions Office by the relevant deadline:
- GRADSAF application form (which includes a Gates Cambridge section)
- Academic transcripts
- 2 academic references
- 1 personal reference (for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship)
Scholarship Application Deadline: The deadlines are as follows: Round 1 (US citizens based in the USA) – 14 October 2015 and Round 2 (all other eligible candidates) – 2 December 2015.