John Eales Rugby Excellence Scholarships are awarded annually to domestic and international male students commencing in the January semester at Bond University. The scholarship covers 100% tuition fees for any single undergraduate degree, single postgraduate degree or diploma program (excluding Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery). Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of strong leadership skills and any community involvement. The application deadline is 30th September 2014.
Study Subject(s): Scholarships are provided for any course (excluding bachelor of medicine bachelor of surgery). Applicants will commence study at Bond University in January 2015 and spend their rugby season with the Bond University Breakers playing in the highest competition in the state of Queensland throughout the duration of their degree.
Course Level: The scholarships are available for pursuing undergraduate, single postgraduate degree or diploma program.
Scholarship Provider: Bond University and John Eales AM, former Wallabies Captain
Scholarship can be taken at: Australia
- Available to all domestic and international students applying for a single undergraduate degree, postgraduate degree or diploma at Bond University.
- Applicants must be male and under 26 years of age with experience playing rugby at a high level relative to their age.
- Predicted OP of 1-7, ATAR 99.95 – 87.15 or predicted International Baccalaureate 45-32 or As/Bs on their most recent transcripts.
- Applicants must meet the prerequisites and the admissions entry standards for their chosen degree program.
Scholarship Open for International Students: Domestic and International students can apply for the scholarships.
Scholarship Description: As the official Education Partner of the Qantas Wallabies, Bond University has joined forces with the former Wallabies Captain, John Eales AM, to present this prestigious sporting scholarship which provides an opportunity for an outstanding young rugby union star to be mentored both on and off the field. In line with Bond University's commitment to nurture the sporting and career aspirations of the leaders of tomorrow, the successful scholar will network with elite athletes, coaches and top-level teams from a range of sports. The scholar will also benefit from regular one-on-one mentoring sessions with John Eales. The goal of the scholarship is to prepare the individual for life beyond rugby with an internationally recognized degree in the discipline of the student's choice, which is enhanced by the global networks, industry connections, and work experience opportunities for which Bond University is renowned.
Number of award(s): Two John Eales Rugby Excellence Scholarships are awarded annually to domestic and international students commencing in the January semester.
Duration of award (s): Scholarship is offered for the duration of the course.
What does it cover? Total offer is of:
- 100% tuition fees for any single undergraduate degree, single postgraduate degree or diploma program (excluding Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery).
- $10,000 cash bursary given to the recipient in each year of their studies in three instalments to assist with any costs they will incur during their study at Bond University.
- Recipients will receive one-on-one mentoring sessions with John Eales who will provide his insights into the game of rugby, life as a high performance athlete and career guidance.
- Successful scholars are also given the opportunity to network with elite athletes, coaches and top-level teams from a range of sports at the University.
Selection criteria: The scholarships will be awarded on the following basis:
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills and any community involvement.
- Submission of a summary of achievements, sporting resume and letters of reference from relevant individuals who can support their application.
- Submission of a 500-word personal statement outlining leadership capabilities and their personal and sporting attributes.
- All applicants will be interviewed by their local Manager for Schools and Community or International Regional Manager.
Notification: Not Known
Online Application: Applicants can apply online.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is September 30, 2014.