MMMF Grants for Women of Developing Countries in USA/Canada, 2018
Applications are invited for MMMF grants available for women applicants of developing countries to pursue their degree in the USA and Canada. Applicants must be enrolled at an accredited academic institution at time of application and plan to be enrolled for a full academic year upon receipt of grant.
Their mission is to assist women from developing countries who are pursuing their education with the aim of improving the lives of women and children in their countries.
Margaret McNamara Education Grants (MMEG) was founded in 1981 in memory of Margaret Craig McNamara, who dedicated her life to improving the lives of underserved women and children at home and overseas.
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Study Subject(s): Grant is awarded to study any courses offered by the U.S. or Canadian educational institution.
Course Level: Grant is available towards the completion of the degree program in Canada and USA.
Scholarship Award: In past years, grants of up to US$15,000 have been awarded in the US/Canada program, and US$7,000 in the Africa, Latin America and Trinity programs. Grant amounts may vary, based on exchange rates and availability of funds.
Number of award(s): Not Known
Scholarship can be taken in USA / Canada
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be at least 25 years old at time of application deadline (see specific regional program application below);
- Be a national of a country listed on the MMEG Country Eligibility List;
- Be enrolled (not just accepted) at an accredited academic institution when submitting application and plan to be enrolled for a full academic term after award of the grant by the Board;
- Not be related to a World Bank Group, International Monetary Fund or Inter-American Development Bank staff member or spouse;
In addition to the above criteria, an applicant must:
- Already be enrolled as a full-time student, with relevant student visa in national passport, and plan to continue studying full time in the following academic year;
- Not hold US citizenship or permanent residency (green card) or Canadian citizenship or Canadian landed immigrant status.
Nationality: Women applicants from developing countries (Afghanistan, Gambia, Mozambique, Bangladesh, The Guinea, Myanmar, Benin, Guinea-Bisau, Nepal, Burkina Faso, Haiti, Niger, Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Cambodia, Korea, Dem Rep., Sierra Leone, Central African Republic, Kyrgyz Republic, Somalia, Liberia, Tajikistan, Comoros, Madagascar, Tanzania, Malawi, Togo, Congo, Dem. Rep, Eritrea, Mali, Uganda, Ethiopia, Mauritania, Zimbabwe, Albania, Indonesia, Samoa, Armenia, India, São Tomé and Principe, Belize, Iraq, Senegal, Bhutan, Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Bolivia, Kosovo, South Sudan, Cameroon, Lao PDR, Sri Lanka, Cape Verde, Lesotho, Sudan, Congo, Rep., Marshall Islands, Swaziland, Côte d'Ivoire, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Syrian Arab Republic, Djibouti, Moldova, Timor-Leste, Egypt, Arab Rep., Mongolia, Tonga, El Salvador, Morocco, Ukraine, Fiji, Nicaragua, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Nigeria, Vanuatu, Ghana, Pakistan, Vietnam, Guatemala, Papua New Guinea, West Bank and Gaza, Guyana, Paraguay, Yemen, Rep., Honduras, Philippines, Zambia, Angola, Ecuador, Palau, Algeria, Gabon, Panama, American Samoa, Grenada, Peru, Antigua and Barbuda, Iran, Islamic Rep., Romania, Argentina, Jamaica, Russian Federation, Azerbaijan, Jordan, Serbia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Seychelles, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Latvia, South Africa, Botswana, Lebanon, St. Lucia, Brazil, Libya, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Suriname, Chile, Macedonia, FYR, Thailand, China, Malaysia, Tunisia, Colombia, Maldives, Turkey, Costa Rica, Mauritius, Turkmenistan, Cuba, Mexico, Tuvalu, Dominica, Montenegro and Uruguay) are eligible to apply for these MMMF Grants.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have previus degree.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online. Before starting the MMEG application process, please scan the following documents in digital form (pdf preferred, jpeg or png):
- Identification (ID) card with photo:
(a) national passport page with photo and date of birth, if studying outside your home country, or
(b) government/university-issued identity card with photo and birth date;
- Most recent proof of official registration from university (not their acceptance letter);
- Most recent official university transcripts and/or reports
- Visa page or study permit page within current passport (if studying outside home country);
- Second passport page with clear photo (in case of dual citizenship).
You will be asked to upload these documents at specific areas of the on-line application form. You will also provide:
- Brief paragraphs of your personal story, and a description of how your studies, experiences and future plans are linked to your commitment to women and children in developing countries;
- An estimate of your financial situation for the coming academic year, and planned strategies to cover funding needs;
- A summary of your thesis (if applicable), including its objective, methodology and findings, and relationship to career goals.
Two reference letters are required. Please contact two people from whom you would like to request a reference letter. Referee 1 must be a professor from your current university. Referee 2 may be from a person (non-family member) who can vouch for your character. At least one of the individuals must have known you for the equivalent of at least two semesters. After receiving their confirmation, you will be asked to provide in the application form:
- Email addresses and phone numbers of the two people providing references. They will each receive an email link from Embark Online to write their recommendation. When their recommendations are submitted, you will also be notified by Embark.
Scholarship Application Deadline: Applications are accepted between September 15 – January 15.