The University of the Witwatersrand's School of Public Health is inviting applications for TDR Scholarships which are open to nationals of low and middle-income countries in the WHO African Region. These scholarships are available for pursuing full-time master and doctoral degree programmes in the field of Implementation Science.
Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR)'s mission is to foster an effective global research effort on infectious diseases of poverty and promote the translation of innovation to health impact in disease endemic countries.
The award for the programmes is provided by TDR, the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases hosted at the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland.
Applicant must have good knowledge of English, both written and verbal.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing full-time master and doctoral degree programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of Implementation Science.
Scholarship Award: The scheme will provide full scholarships for nine Masters and two Ph.D. Fellows in the 2017 academic year and covers the following:
- Return economy airfare
- Tuition fees and basic medical and accident insurance
- A monthly stipend to cover living expenses.
- An allowance towards the costs of recommended learning materials (reference textbooks and a laptop)
- Support for the Masters or Ph.D. research project expenses and supervision
- Payment for an intensive English language course (where necessary) to improve the grantee's academic performance
Further, recipients' careers will be tracked with the new TDR Global alumni and stakeholder platform that will monitor the impact of the programme, as well as networking and increased visibility opportunities for the Fellows.
Scholarship can be taken in the South Africa
Eligibility: These scholarships are open to nationals of low and middle-income countries in the WHO African region that is resident in the region.
- Applicants should normally be under 35 years for the Master Programme and under 40 years for the Ph.D. Programme.
- Meet the University requirements for the level of degree applied for.
Nationality: Applicants must be from low- and middle-income countries within the WHO Afro Region.
List of Countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros , Congo, Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Gabon, Gambia,Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique ,Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Swaziland, Togo, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants should meet the university requirements for the level of degree applied for.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: Applicant must have good knowledge of English, both written and verbal.
How to Apply: The application process is two-fold.
1. Application to the University of the Witwatersrand Apply for the desired level of study by completing a Wits postgraduate application form online.
2. Application for the TDR scholarship: The application for the TDR scholarship should be made separately in writing and should include the following documents:
- A letter of motivation
- A certified copy of the bio-data page of the passport
- Evidence of application to study Implementation Science as the field of study in the MSc Epidemiology Programme at the University of the Witwatersrand or the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. Programme of the School of Public Health commencing in the 2017 academic year
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae including a description of relevant research and work experience
- Two confidential referee reports should be sent directly by the referees to Mrs. Gloria Bowes (Gloria.Bowes-at-wits.ac.za).
Application Deadline: The application deadline for master degree programme is 31 July 2016, for Ph.D. degree programme is 31 August 2016 and for TDR scholarship: 31 August 2016.