What do aspiring young talents, experienced entrepreneurs, promising business ideas and a key investor have in common?
They all contribute to the MTN Entrepreneurship Challenge powered by Jumia!
FEBRUARY 15th : APPLICATIONS OPEN
MARCH 27th : APPLICATIONS CLOSE
APRIL 1st - 8th : CAMPUS PRESENTATION, LIVE PITCHES ; 16th : FINALISTS ANNOUNCED
MAY 27th : ENTREPRENEURSHIP FESTIVAL ; WINNERS AND RUNNERS UP ANNOUNCED
Who can apply ?
Teams may be comprised of 2 or 3 individuals with at least one member currently enrolled at in an African university or a recent graduate (Academic year 2014 - 2015 or 2015 – 2016) of an African university.
Both Undergraduate and Graduate students may apply.
What are the evaluation criteria ?
Our review team (encompassing campus captains and selection committee) will be evaluating applications according to four main areas (which are underpinned with more specific criteria). Particularly, participating teams should make sure that their business plans will: fit to African market, be operationally feasible, be innovative and contain relevant financials.
The general assessment scheme can be found below:
1. Formal Requirements
1.1. Executive Summary (2pages)
1.2. Financial Statement (proforma, basic information)
1.3. In Line with the Subject
2.1. Need Identification (You must Clearly state a problem, which you are hoping to solve)
2.2. Solution (Well-defined solution as an answer to previously identified problem)
2.3. Monetization (You should illustrate your pathway to monetizing the proposed solution)
3.1. Fit to African Market (external analysis)
- 3.1.1. Macro Trends – Environment
- 3.1.2. Competitive Landscape
3.2. Operational Feasibility (internal analysis)
- 3.2.1. Internal Competencies
- 3.2.2. Management Team
- 3.3.1. Novelty Aspect (Clear proposition of breakthrough innovation)
- 3.3.2. Added Value (Presentation of a clear path to tangible value creation to customers thanks to suggested innovation)
- 3.3.3. Societal Impact (strategy and operations aligned for responsible and sustainable business)
- 3.4.1. Income Sources (Identification of a way, in which a business is going to generate money)
- 3.4.2. Investment Ask (Accurate identification of financial needs & plan of utilizing potential funds)
- 4.1. Time Management
- 4.2. Design (Appropriate use of audio & visuals)
- 4.3. Delivery
How do you submit your idea ?
The MTN EC BY JUMIA uses the Website application platform to manage applications. To enter, the designated team leader should complete the online enrollment form found at http://www.gsb.uct.ac.za/MTNECbyJumiaApply
Please note that the Application, Executive Summary and Video Pitch (optional, but highly encouraged) must be completed no later than 23:59 pm GMT, Sunday, March 27, 2016.