The National Professional Officer reports to the Representative under the technical guidance of the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) for the 'Sustainable Development of Fisheries and Aquaculture Value Chains in ACP Countries' project (FISH4ACP).
- Researches and analyses technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional, and technology related information, data and statistics and/or related policy issues to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
- Produces a variety of technical information, data, statistics and reports as well as input for technical documents and web pages;
- Provides technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies and initiatives and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
- Collaborates in the development of improved/updated tools, systems, processes, and databases;
- Participates in multidisciplinary teams, and/or leads working groups/teams collaborates with other departments and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices;
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, online tools;
- Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations;
- Supports resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Acts as the Secretary to the FISH4ACP Value Chain Task Force (VC-TF) and organizes meetings and plans agendas.
- Prepares reports every six months for submission to the Project Management Unit (PMU), which will include information on results achieved, constraints and possible solutions, impact evaluation, as well as administrative and financial updates;
- Prepares and executes the FISH4ACP annual country level work plan and budget and oversees the preparation of the country level value chain work plan and budget;
- Develops and maintains partnerships with country and regional stakeholders who can contribute to achieving FISH4ACP value chain objectives;
- Collaborates closely with consultants (national and international) responsible for value chain project tasks and ensures the implementation of a sustainable systems-based value chain approach;
- Coordinates, collates and analyses quarterly value chain progress reports from the value chain task forces to gauge the impact of FISH4ACP interventions;
- Coordinates the knowledge sharing emerging from the value chain to ensure information is widely disseminated within the FISH4ACP project and externally;
- Oversees development and implementation of the FISH4ACP communication strategy at country level;
- Supports and monitors the value chain analysis (VCA) in the first year and the value chain development activities in years two through five of the project, facilitating linkages between stakeholders, including the formation of the VCA teams and value chain task forces, and the organization of value chain stakeholder workshops;
- Contributes to the data collection and analysis, as well as report-writing (as applicable), with a main focus on the strategy and implementation sections;
- Leads the regular monitoring and evaluation (M-E) of the programme, at country level, throughout the project duration, including the selection of value chain-specific indicators, as well as the regular reporting of progress to the CTA;
- Performs other duties as required.
- National of Cameroon;
- Advanced university degree in development economics, fisheries economics or marine affairs with a specialization in fisheries, aquaculture or natural resource management and/or governance environmental policy or other field related to fisheries;
- Five years of relevant experience in fisheries and aquaculture development, trade, fishery products safety and quality, value chain development, field of statistics and data management of fisheries, or related field;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of French;
- Working knowledge of the local language (if not English or French).
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience in practical sustainable value chain development, technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, fisheries and aquaculture, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes and/or providing technical support and advice on institutional capacity building processes;
- Extent and relevance of experience in establishing and maintaining partnerships with UN agencies, NGOs as well as donors, private sector, universities, research institutions and government institutions and agencies;
- Depth of familiarity with fisheries and aquaculture sector in developing countries, and extent and relevance of experience in programme/project management, value chain analysis, sustainable fisheries and aquaculture management;
- Extent and relevance of experience in project coordination and an understanding of the purpose and functions of technical programmes, operational guidelines and programme/project management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO would be considered an asset;
- Extent and relevance of experience in editing and publishing communication products related to fisheries and/or value chain activities;
- Working knowledge of both English and French is considered a strong asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of commitment to FAO, respect for all, integrity and transparency.
HOW TO APPLY
- Visit the recruitment website at https://jobs.fao.org/careersection/fao_external/jobsearch.ftl and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills;
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile;
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list;
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered;
If you need help or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
Posting Date: 18/Mar/2020
Closure Date: 08/Apr/2020, 10:59:00 PM
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT