The International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) of the Open University is offering predoctoral fellowships and the International PhD programme in life sciences at ICGEB Trieste in Italy, ICGEB New Delhi (Jawaharlal Nehru University) in India and ICGEB Cape Town (University of Cape Town) in South Africa. Fellowships are awarded for up to 3 (three) years. Applicants must be nationals of an ICGEB member state and must be below the age of 32 years at the time of the closing date to be eligible for the fellowship. The application deadline is 31st March 2014.
Study Subject (s): ICGEB offers postgraduate studies with the aim of obtaining the “Doctor Philosophie” (PhD) Degree in life sciences at ICGEB Trieste in Italy, ICGEB New Delhi (Jawaharlal Nehru University) in India, ICGEB Cape Town (University of Cape Town) in South Africa.
Course Level: Fellowships are awarded for pursuing PhD programme.
Scholarship Provider: International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) of the Open University, UK
Scholarship can be taken at: Italy, India and South Africa (Indian and South African nationals are not eligible to apply for the ICGEB fellowship to attend the PhD Programme in New Delhi and Cape Town respectively).
Eligibility: -Applicants must be nationals of an ICGEB Member State; Indian and South African nationals are not eligible to apply for the ICGEB fellowship to attend the PhD Programme in New Delhi and Cape Town respectively.
- ICGEB Trieste: a B.Sc. (honours) degree is essential;
- ICGEB New Delhi: an M.Sc. degree is essential;
- ICGEB Cape Town: a B.S. (honours) degree is essential;
- Good working knowledge of the English language (supported by a proficiency certificate such as TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate or equivalent) is essential as all activities related to the PhD Programme and courses are held in English
- Candidates must be below the age of 32 years at the time of the closing date (i.e. date of birth after 31/03/1982); there is no age limit for ICGEB New Delhi and Cape Town.
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: Applicants of an ICGEB Member State (Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burundi, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Hungary, India, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Libya, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Poland, FYR Macedonia, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Uruguay, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of) and Vietnam) are eligible to apply for the fellowships.
Scholarship Description: The Arturo Falaschi ICGEB Fellowships programme offers long and short-term fellowships to assist in the training of scientists from Member States through the following actions:
- Pre-doctoral fellowships and the International PhD programme
- Postdoctoral fellowships
- Flexible fellowships (short-term and sandwich PhD)
The Arturo Falaschi ICGEB Fellowship Programmes are open to nationals of ICGEB Member States only, who must submit their application to the ICGEB Liaison Officer in their country of origin for endorsement. Endorsement is an essential prerequisite for acceptance of the application. Only endorsed applications will be transmitted to ICGEB Headquarters for review and final selection. The applicants must contact the ICGEB Group Leader of their choice to ascertain laboratory space availability and obtain a prior agreement on their proposed research project in order to be admitted to the selection.
Duration of award(s): Fellowships are awarded up to 3 (three) years.
What does it cover?
- Stipends are calculated to cover the costs of normal living expenses (annually) for one person at the location of the individual host institute (married applicants should take special notice of this as no family or dependant allowance is included in the Fellowship); fellowships are renewable for the following years providing that the PhD programme requirements are fulfilled.
- Travel to and from the host country, medical health insurance cover will be covered.
- Accommodation: a housing service managed by the Welcome office Friuli Venezia Giulia is available (ICGEB Trieste); hostel is provided on campus on a twin sharing basis, at a nominal rate, for Ph.D. students only (ICGEB New Delhi);
- limited accommodation is available on campus in 2-or 3- bed roomed furnished apartments on a shared basis on conditions to be negotiated with the University of Cape Town. No meals are provided (ICGEB Cape Town).
How to Apply: Complete applications from nationals of ICGEB Member States must be sent to the ICGEB Liaison Officer in the applicant’s country of origin, for endorsement. Complete endorsed application form together with all requested documents should be sent by post. Italian nationals should send the complete applications directly to ICGEB Trieste. Attach the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae and publications list;
- Proposed research project (including investigation topic/area, problem/hypothesis to be tested, methods/techniques to be used in the investigation as well as details of the applicant’s previous work in the proposed field);
- Written statement from the chosen Group Leader supporting the project and confirming availability of laboratory space;
- English language Proficiency certificate (such as TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate or equivalent); not applicable when scholastic education has been conducted in English;
- Three (3) letters of recommendation;
- Transcripts and certificates/ Diploma (Academic records) giving detailed information on all courses/final examinations completed, credit value or hours per course and grades received.
All the academic documents must be issued by the degree-granting University and bear the official seals and signatures and should be submitted in the original language accompanied by an English official translation of each document (self-translated documents are not acceptable).
Scholarship Application Deadline: 31 March 2014: Complete applications from nationals of ICGEB Member States must be sent to the ICGEB Liaison Officer in the applicant’s country of origin, for endorsement. 30 April 2014: Submission of endorsed applications to ICGEB Trieste.