Deadline: Jan-June 2013 (annual)
Study in: UK
Course starts AY 2013/2014
The Chevening UK Scholarships is one of the world’s top scholarship schemes for international students. It is the flagship scholarship scheme of the British Government which provides scholarships to around 1000 leaders from over 130 countries to study in the UK every year.
The Chevening Scholarships offers exceptional candidates the opportunity to undertake postgraduate study at leading universities in the UK. It is aimed at future leaders, opinion formers and decision-makers.
Host Institution(s): UK Universities and Academic Institutions.
Field(s) of study:
Chevening scholarships are targeted towards a broad range of fields and disciplines. Depending on the priorities of the UK Embassy in your country, applications are welcome for the following fields: Development, Public administration, Governance, Journalism/media, International Relations, Human rights, Economics, Finance, Banking, Law, Human rights, Management, Project planning, Political science, Diplomatic training, Environmental studies, Civil Society, Religion, etc.
Number of Awards: Annually, the programme provides nearly 1,000 scholarships.
The Chevening UK scholarships are for international students or researchers from over 130 countries.
Chevening UK Scholarships are full scholarships which cover tuition fees, monthly stipend and various one-off allowances as well as international travel to and from UK. Most scholars undertake a one year master’s degree.
Chevening UK Scholarships are for high calibre international student graduates with the personal, intellectual and interpersonal qualities necessary for leadership. Applicants should be:
- Motivated to make a career that will take them to positions of leadership in their own country within ten years of their scholarship
- Able to use their studies and experience in the UK to benefit themselves, their countries and the UK
- Natural influencers and talented communicators, with energy and ambition
- People who value networking and who can demonstrate the value of networks to their studies, and to bringing about change on a global level
- Intelligent, with demonstrable academic potential
- Strong characters with integrity, drive, and the ability to self manage and work independently
- Have good English Language skills and an IELTS score of 6.5 (or its equivalent) for admission to postgraduate courses
- Meet the academic requirements for their courses of study
There is no coordinated global launch of the programme. British missions around the world will advertise Chevening separately, so timings will vary. Some Embassies will advertise as early as late autumn (September), while others will start as late as spring (May-June). The deadline varies per country but falls around January-June 2013.
Please check your local British Embassy or High Commission website, and your local British Council website, for details about how the scheme will operate in your country, including information about deadlines and whether criteria about areas of interest have been applied.
Any follow up questions should be directed to your local British Council Office. The contact details are found at this link.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what-we-do/scholarships/chevening/