The Beijing Scholarship for international students is a special fund set up as tuition scholarship for international students, who are either currently enrolled or plan to attend higher learning institutions in Beijing.
Application Deadline: Students must notice that applications with application materials should be handed to the relevant university or college before the end of February.
Study Subject(s): Courses offered in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region.
Course Level: This scholarship is available for pursuing bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree level.
Scholarship Provider: Beijing Government
Scholarship can be taken at: China
- Applicants must be non-Chinese nationals in good health.
- Educational background and age limit
2.1) Applicants for undergraduate studies in Beijing must have completed senior high school with good grades and be under 30-years-old. Applicants for Masters degree studies in Beijing must have Bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35. Applicants for Doctoral degree studies in Beijing must have Master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
2.2) Applicants for advanced studies must have an undergraduate degree or be in the second year of a university course and be under the age of 50. Applicants for long-term language study must have a high school diploma and be under the age of 60.
2.3) Visiting scholar candidates in Beijing must have a Masters or higher degree or hold academic titles of associate professor or higher, and be under the age of 50.
3.Requirement for the applicant’s language proficiency is based on requirements of the academic programs and determined by the individual higher learning institution.
4.An applicant receives financial support from other Chinese government scholarship programs or organizations/agencies would not be eligible for the Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students
Scholarship Open for International Students: International students can apply for this scholarship.
Scholarship Description: Beijing Government Scholarship: The Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS) was established by Beijing Municipal Government, aiming to provide tuition fees fully or partially to the international students studying or applying for studying in Beijing. Its administrative office is the International Cooperation and Exchange Office of Beijing Municipal Commission of Educations, which is in charge of project establishment, review, acceptance and daily management of the Beijing Government Scholarship Program. The international students applying for the Beijing Government Scholarships shall normally submit relevant materials to the universities in Beijing that he/she hope to apply by the end of February every year.
For specific application means, you can consult the government departments and relevant institutions responsible for dispatching students abroad in your country, Chinese embassies or consulates; you can also visit the Web of Beijing Municipal Commission of Education to inquiry; or directly apply to the universities qualified to issue such scholarship in Beijing.
Duration differs with respect to the subjects chosen. Generally speaking, it takes 4 to 5 years for undergraduates, 2 to 3 years for Masters degree candidates, and 3 years for PhD degree candidates. The duration varies for Chinese language students, general scholar candidates, and senior scholar candidates.
Number of award(s): Not Known
Duration of award(s):
- Applicants for Bachelor’s, Masters and Doctoral Degrees in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region: Duration of scholarship should be under 4 years.
- Applicants for Chinese language training or relevant advanced studies in Chinese universities and colleges in the Beijing region: Duration of scholarship should be under one year.
- Scholars and international students for specialized training in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region: Duration of scholarship should be under one year.
- Exchange students or students with outstanding contributions to international education in Beijing: Duration of scholarship should be under one year.
What does it cover? The Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students only covers tuition fees. According to the applicants’ status, allowance for scholarship students can be classified into 5 types:
- 40,000 RMB/year for a Doctoral degree
- 30,000 RMB/year for a Masters degree
- 20,000 RMB/year/ for a Bachelor degree
- 10,000 RMB/year for senior training or long-term language program
- 5,000 RMB/year for Exchange students or students with outstanding contributions to international education in Beijing.
Application procedures, timing and documents
- Applicants must submit documents to the Chinese government office in charge of sending international students to China, relevant offices in the applicants’ home country, or the Chinese diplomatic missions or embassies in the applicants’ home country.
- Applicants may register via the web with the Beijing Education Commission http://www.bjedu.gov.cn
- Applicants may submit documents to Chinese institutions in Beijing directly.
All application materials should be handed to the relevant university or college before the end of February.
Application documents (completed in English or Chinese) Applicants must fill in and provide the following documents correctly.
- Application Form for Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship (can be collected from the institutions in Beijing or downloaded from the school’s website)
- The highest diploma and transcripts (notarized photocopy).
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by the Chinese quarantine authority and only for those whose period of study in China is six months or greater).
- Applicants for Degree study or specialized research should submit a study plan (no more than 400 words) or a research plan (no more than 800 words).
- Applicants for music and fine arts are requested to submit personal works.
- Applicants under the age of 18 should submit legal documents of their legal guardians in China.
- Whether applicants are admitted or not, the documents will not be returned.
Selection of Institutions and Specialties
Applicants may choose institutions and specialties from Chinese institutions of higher education in the Beijing region. Please check details or submit application forms to institutions directly.
Approvals and Notification
- Institutions of higher education in Beijing will review all application materials of qualified applicants for the scholarship will be forwarded to the Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students to make a further review.
- Institutions will send the Scholarship Letter, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China to applicants who will be confirmed as Scholarship students three months before the opening of the new academic year.
- The application will be seen as invalid and will not be processed if applicants are not qualified or application materials are inconsistent with recruitment regulations or are incomplete.
- Each year, schools will review academic performance of each scholarship recipient. The scholarship recipient would disqualify if they violate Chinese laws, disobey school rules or guidelines of the Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students.
After students finish studying, institutions will conduct a comprehensive review on each student, and send a report to the Leadership Group for Establishing the Scholarship Program for International Students and put it on record.
Visa Applications and Registrations in China
Students under the Beijing Government Scholarship Program should apply for a visa to study in China at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General with original documents and one set of photocopies of the Admission Notice, Visa Application for Study in China and Physical Examination Form for Foreigners, and a valid passport. Scholarship students who are going to stay in the country for more than 6 months must apply for an “X” visa, while those who will stay less than 6 months will need to apply for an “F” visa. Scholarship students must enter the country with original copies of above documents. A person coming to China with other types of passports visas or without original documents cannot register with the institution.
International students must arrive at and register in the institution at the time specified in the Admission Notice. If the rate of the scholarship cannot meet the tuition fees, students must pay the difference.
Those unable to register before the specified time must ask for permission from the institution directly. Those who fail to register without the prior consent of the institution will be considered as voluntarily giving up their enrollment, and the scholarship will be withdrawn. Those who arrive in Beijing before the scholarship program begins shall bear all expenses incurred.
Contacts of Leadership Group for Establishing Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students:
Address: No109, Qianmen St, Xicheng District, China.
Postal Code: 100031