Applications are invited for 2013/2014 DAAD scholarship for UNILEAD programme sponsored by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg in Germany. This is a Higher Education Management Training Course open for international students. The funds are available to cover travel costs, course costs and accommodation cost. Partial allowance is provided to cover subsistence costs. Strict closing date of the application is April 1, 2013.
Study Subject(s): The course covers topics with relevance to Higher Education Management in the following three areas:
1st module: Project Management
2nd module: Management of Financial Resources
3rd module: Management of Human Resources.
Course Level: UNILEAD programme is a Higher Education Management Training Course.
Scholarship Provider: The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg in Germany are jointly organizing an intensive Higher Education Management Training Course (UNILEAD)
Scholarship can be taken at: The programme takes place at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg, Germany
Eligibility: The two key criteria are:
- Participants have been holding a university management position with managerial and personnel responsibilities for at least two years in one of the following fields:
- Managers of central university departments (Planning, Evaluation, Financing, Human Resources, Continuing Education, International Offices, Technology Transfer etc.).
- Task force managers for university reform projects.
- Managers of staff development units or programmes.
- Active and excellent English language skills (speaking and writing) are indispensable.
Further criteria are:
- Participants are young university leaders aged between 30 and 40 years.
- They hold at least a Master’s degree.
- The provision of international experience will be an asset.
- Being a DAAD alumni will be considered an asset, but is by no means compulsory.
Scholarship Open for International Students: Participants from higher education institutions of the following regions are eligible to apply: South East Asia (Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam). Sub-Saharan Africa (Burundi, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda). Latin America (Bolivia, Central America, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico and Peru). Middle East (Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Yemen).
Scholarship Description: The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg in Germany are jointly organizing an intensive Higher Education Management Training Course (UNILEAD) in Oldenburg, bringing together the topics Project Management, Management of Financial Resources and Management of Human Resources with individual and practice-oriented change projects of each participant. In 2008 the University of Oldenburg developed the programme together with the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (South Africa) and the DAAD. UNILEAD is part of the DIES programme (Dialogue on Innovative Higher Education Strategies), which has been jointly coordinated by the DAAD and HRK (German Rectors’ Conference) since 2001.
Duration of award(s):
1st phase: 10 weeks online phase (July-September)
2nd phase: 3 weeks contact phase in Germany (September)
3rd phase: 15-18 weeks online phase (October-February)
4th phase: 2 weeks contact phase in Germany (February)
What does it cover? The costs for this training course will be mainly covered by funds of the DAAD provided by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). During the visit the participants will be guests of the University of Oldenburg. Following expenses will be covered:
- Travel costs: Flight to and from Germany and ground travel to and from Oldenburg. They kindly ask the participants to make their own travel arrangement – they will then be reimbursed in cash upon arrival in Oldenburg.
- Course costs: 5.500 €.
- Accommodation and joint meals at the two contact phases in Germany.
- Partial allowance for subsistence costs during the contact phases in Germany (according to DAAD regulations).
- Emergency health insurance during the contact phases.
Expected co-funding: Participants’ home institutions are expected to cover local transportation in their home countries, visa costs and possible additional per diems for the stay in Germany. Furthermore, they are expected to contribute to the costs by paying a one-time fee of 300,00 €.
Notification: The Selection Committee composed of high profile Higher Education Management experts and staff of DAAD meets at the end of May 2013. The selected candidates will be informed by end of June 2013 of the results of the selection meeting.
How to Apply: Please click here to apply.
Attached should be the following documents:
- Letter of motivation with date and signature (1 to 2 pages max.) in which the need for the training is explained. The following four questions need to be answered (pdf-file):
1) What is the reason for you applying for the UNILEAD programme and which role do you think the UNILEAD programme will play for your professional career?
2) Please outline a concrete project with relation to the topics of the course which you are currently implementing or planning to implement at your university!
3) What kind of actual challenges, obstacles or problems are or will you (presumably) be faced with regarding the implementation of your project?
4) In which way do you think that your participation in the UNILEAD programme could help you to implement this project and to overcome existing or foreseen challenges, obstacles or problems?
- Letter of recommendation from university top management where the managerial qualifications and leadership competencies and the future potential of the candidate are briefly described (pdf-file).
- An additional letter of recommendation from a DAAD foreign branch office or DAAD Information Centre will be an asset (pdf-file).
- Proof of excellent English proficiency (e.g. TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate) will be an asset. Phone interviews will be organised with short listed candidates to guarantee the requested proficiency (pdf-file).
Please do not forget to mark the contact person of your country/area on the application form.
Scholarship Application Deadline: Strict closing date of the application is April 1, 2013.