The Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA) is a collaboration between the Agency for Science, Technology & Research (A*STAR), the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and the National University of Singapore (NUS). 240 SINGA Awards will be given each year to international students. The award provides financial support for up to 4 years of PhD studies. Students with a passion for Science and Engineering research, excellent academic qualifications, good reports from academic referees, and fluency in English are encouraged to apply for this award. Applications for the January 2014 intake should be received before or on June 1, 2013.
Study Subject(s): Scholarships are provided in Science & Engineering. Applicants can pursue a PhD degree in any field of study for which they can demonstrate interest and capability. The PhD projects under SINGA are research based, not clinical based.
Course Level: This scholarship is available for pursuing PhD degree level at the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), National University of Singapore (NUS), or Nanyang Technological University (NTU).
Scholarship Provider: The Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA) is a collaboration between the Agency for Science, Technology & Research (A*STAR), the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and the National University of Singapore (NUS).
Scholarship can be taken at: Singapore
- Open to all international students
- Graduates with a passion for research and excellent academic results
- Good skills in written and spoken English
- Good reports from academic referees.
Scholarship Open for International Students: International applicants can apply for the award.
A*STAR is Singapore’s leading research agency that complements research and PhD education through its state-of-the-art facilities and renowned scientists located at integrated research campuses – Biopolis and Fusionopolis – for Biomedical Sciences and Physical Sciences & Engineering research respectively. With 14 research institutes dedicated to a multitude of technological disciplines, including info communications, nanotechnology and manufacturing, A*STAR attracts a diverse community of leading local researchers & foreign specialists from the USA, Europe and Asia Pacific region. PhD training will be carried out in English at applicant’s chosen lab at A*STAR Research Institutes, NTU or NUS. Students will be supervised by distinguished and world-renowned researchers in these labs. Upon successful completion, students will be conferred a PhD degree by either NTU or NUS. Applicants whose complete supporting documents are received after 1 Jun 2013 will be considered late, and will be processed for the August 2014 intake instead.
Number of award(s): Up to 240 SINGA scholarships are awarded each year.
Duration of award(s): The award provides financial support for up to 4 years of PhD studies.
What does it cover?
- Full support of tuition fees.
- Stipends – S$2,000 per month (S$24,000 per annum), to be increased to S$2,500 per month. (S$30,000 per annum) after passing Qualifying Examinations.
- One-time S$1,000 settling-in allowance.
- One-time airfare grant of S$1,500.
The selection criteria for SINGA include the applicant’s academic record, publications, recommendations from academic referees, personal achievements, passion and ability to excel in research, and an interview if short-listed.
Notification: Only short-listed candidates will be notified within 10 weeks from the application closing date.
How to Apply:
The mode of applying is online and by post. Applicant will first need to fill up an online application form and submit it through the SINGA website. He/she must then send hard copies of supporting documents. These supporting documents include:
- A copy of your Identity Card or Passport
- Certified true copies of university transcript(s), one in English translation and the other in the original language
- Certified true copies of degree scroll(s) or a letter or certification from the university on your candidature if your degree scroll has not yet been conferred
- Two Academic Referees’ Recommendation (download the recommendation form here)
- Two recent passport-sized photographs.
Scholarship Application Deadline: Applications for the January 2014 intake should be received before or on June 1, 2013.