Deadline: 6 Nov 2012 (annual)
Study in: Canada
Course starts May/Sept 2013
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. The scholarships are towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
The scholarships can be undertaken at Canadian Universities. Students wishing to apply for a Vanier CGS should verify that the university to which they are applying for doctoral studies has a Vanier CGS allocation.
Field(s) of study : Any academic field of study
Number of Scholarships : Not specified
Both Canadian and international students are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS
The scholarships is worth $50,000 per year for three years.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation;
- be seeking financial support to pursue your first doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD);
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating university;
- have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2012 (see Notes below);
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent; and not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, SSHRC or NSERC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either the candidate informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected university of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS competition or the university initiates the nomination process by contacting the candidate.
Applications are then prepared and submitted using the ResearchNet application system. Once they have completed the Vanier CGS electronic application through ResearchNet, students must submit their application online to the Canadian university that will be putting forward their nomination.
You cannot submit an application unless you have been nominated by a Canadian University. All nominations from Canadian universities must be submitted and received by the federal research granting agencies by the 6 November 2012 (8:00 p.m. Eastern Time).
It is important to visit the official website to access the application form and to know the complete details on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/eng/scholarship_details-renseignements_generaux.aspx