2013 Courage in Journalism Awards Nomination Requirements and Criteria
Competitive candidates will exhibit extraordinary strength of character, bravery and perseverance in reporting the news; have a strong commitment to press freedom and be well-respected journalists who have shown a commitment to journalism exemplified by a willingness to continually put their life or their freedom at risk to produce a body of work in the face of government oppression, political pressure, physical danger or other intimidating obstacles.
Candidates must currently be full-time, part-time or freelance women journalistsworking in print, broadcast or online media in any country.
Candidates employed by organizations whose main objective is not journalism will not be considered for this award.
Before you start the nomination process, please make sure you have assembled the following documents:
- Description of the conditions under which the candidate works;
- Description of specific instances where the candidate has faced danger because of her work, such as government oppression, torture, threats to family, defamation or imprisonment;
- Nomination statement describing why this journalist merits consideration for the IWMF’s Courage in Journalism Award. The nomination statement is a very important part of the selection process. Please explain in detail how your candidate meets the qualifications using specific examples to illustrate the candidate’s courage and determination in support of press freedom. Nominators are encouraged to read short biographies of previous award winners at iwmf.org/courage
Examples of the candidates work*:
- For print journalists (including online media): 2-3 articles written by the candidate;
- For editors or publishers: 2-3 examples of overall work;
- For TV or radio reporters or producers: audio or video clip which features the candidate or is produced by the candidate (audio tapes can be uploaded electronically or submitted by mail on cassettes, CDs or by electronic audio file; video clips can be uploaded electronically or submitted by mail in DVD, BETA or NTSC format);
- For photojournalists: 4-5 photographs taken by the candidate;
*Additional materials will be requested on a case-by-case basis.
The completed nomination must be submitted on or before March 1, 2013.
Materials may be submitted in English, French, Spanish or Russian.
For questions, please contact courage @ iwmf.org, +1 (202) 496-1992 (phone), +1 (202) 496-1977 (fax).