Position: Chief Operating Officer - CCPO
Reports to: Country Director
Supervises: Head of Accounting, Financial Controller, Logistic & Facilities
Supervisor and IT Officer.
Functional supervision to Programme Administrative and Finance
Officers (PAFOs, field head of Finance and Administration)
Date: November 2012
I. Mission of Department
To ensure a high performing WWF Cameroon Country Office with efficient and effective operations, the Business Manager supports the WWF Cameroon Country Programme Office (CCPO) by leading the support and Operation services team (Finance and Accounting, IT and Logistics so as to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of the Operations, Financial and IT strategic objectives, in compliance with the WWF International Network Standards and WWF Central Africa Regional Programme Office (CARPO) policies and procedures.
II. Major Functions
- Directs, coordinates and manages the work of support services units through the respective departments and Unit Heads;
- For all relevant units, ensures effective implementation of WWF CCPO business plan so as to meet agreed targets, performance standards and encourages adaptive management in achieving this;
- With the Operations team and support of Country Management Team (CMT), ensures delivery of reporting and monitoring requirements for WWF Network and any other international initiative on improving performance;
- Ensures the establishment of an effective annual work plan for operations and a high quality budgeting process following the Annual Plan and Monitoring System (APMS), Strategic Plan and Monitoring System (SPMS) and takes the lead on its annual implementation;
- Works with the Country Management Team (CMT) to establish a strong performance culture across WWF CCPO to deliver on commitments highlighted in the Strategic Plan.
III. Major Duties and responsibilities
- With the Operations teams, coordinates their work plans, budgets and deliverables ensuring compliance with CCPO APMS, policies and timelines for WWF CCPO;
- Supervises Financial Operations; IT and Logistics;
- Facilitates external audits of the Programme Office at all levels;
- Ensures that all rules, regulations and procedures are followed and enforced;
- Monitors and evaluates the operations activities in tandem with the Conservation Plan;
- Ensures that measures are in place for the protection and safety of WWF CCPO's staff and assets;
- Ensures the overall legal status of WWF and its presences in Cameroon and the related requirements are appropriate and enforced. Liaises with government on a Country Agreement, ensuring that this is up-to-date and includes beneficial conditions on taxation, customs duties;
- Develop an annual operational plan which ensures effective administration of all WWF CCPO’s Programme offices in the country;
- Supports fundraising efforts by ensuring proposal budgets are realistic and of high quality, recovering costs at a maximum and that the requirements of the proposal process have been respected in line with the existing policy C2G (Cradle to Grave);
- Develops quality risk management plans for WWF CCPO and oversees their implementation and monitoring;
- Oversees the establishment of sound and secure IT and Telecommunication services for WWF in Cameroon;
- Serves as focal point for donors and the regional office for any issues concerning financial and administrative project and programme management;
- Designs and oversees the implementation of strategies to enhance WWF’s operational efficiency and internal control environment;
- Coaches and trains key staff on financial and administrative issues;
- Reviews all contractual partnerships and agreements to ensure they are appropriate, credible and up to date;
- Performs other duties as requested by the Country Director or regional management.
- Minimum Master’s degree in management, Finance; Business Administration or international development or a relevant field;
- 07 to 10 years of professional experience in a leadership role, with demonstrated success in managing teams and office operations, corporate engagement and relationship management, and managing complex budgets;
- Proven knowledge and experience of the not-for-profit sector, preferably of environmental non-government organizations, governance and regulatory compliance.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Proven leadership skills with excellent capacity to manage Finance and Operations Teams; ability to inspire and motivate staff and external partners;
- Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and evaluating strategic plans;
- High level negotiation, facilitation as well as interpersonal and influencing skills and the capacity to develop and maintain strong relationships within WWF and across the WWF Network and in the business and not-for-profit communities;
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English and French;
- Adherence to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
VI. Working Relationships
Internal: Is required to closely work with the Country Management team, Programme
Managers, the Regional Finance Team and the Regional Fundraising & Partnership
External: External partners with whom there are operational links in partnership and
contractual arrangements with WWF, Government, Tax authority; Donors and External
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary
according to organizational needs.
Prepared by ____________________________________Date:_______________
Reviewed by ___________________________________Date:_______________
Approved by Country Director _____________________ Date: ______________
Accepted by Staff member: _______________________ Date: _______________