- Position title: Principal Private Sector Development Specialist - Governance, Economic and Financial Reforms Department
- Grade: PL-4
- Position N°: SAP 50068225
- Reference: ADB/13/03
- Publication date: 03/01/2013
- Closing date: 25/01/2013
The main objective of the Governance Division (OSGE.1) within the Governance Department is to assist Regional Member Countries (RMCs) to reform and develop their economies by promoting effective public sector governance geared towards improving the investment climate and creating an enabling environment for private sector development;
The Division pursues its objectives by designing and monitoring reform support, budgetary support and institution building operations, based on analytical, diagnostic and prospective studies. The coordination of these activities with other partner institutions is a priority in the Division’s modus operandi. The Division conducts policy dialogue with governments and concerned actors in RMCs on economic and financial management. It advises other Bank departments and participates in designing and conducting training for staff in its fields of competence.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Manager, Governance Division, the incumbent performance the following duties and responsibilities:
- Be the focal point for issues related to the investment climate in the private sector, the business environment, public-private partnership (PPP) frameworks and corporate governance. In that regard, s/he will : (i) provide technical support to the division in these areas: (ii) interact with other departments (Country Departments, Private Sector Department, etc..) and external partners that support governments in those areas; (iii) represent the Bank in partnerships, networks and national/regional/international training workshops and seminars on private sector development and related issues; and (iv) direct or facilitate Bank activities and initiatives aimed at promoting an effective private sector environment in RMCs and all related issues;
- Manage Bank participation in various initiatives aimed at improving the private investment climate or corporate governance in Africa;
- Direct, coordinate and/or participate in identifying, appraising and negotiating Bank operations (reform programs, institution building projects) based on or having components related to the creation of an enabling environment for private sector development and corporate governance, involving RMC governments, various development partners and interested parties or stakeholders;
- Conduct the operations portfolio supervision and management in the area of business climate improvement, to ensure their implementation within the set timeframes, in line with agreed objectives;
- In partnership with other departments and donors, conduct and coordinate analytical work on the private sector investment climate in RMCs, derive there from the revitalization strategies and define areas for Bank assistance. Such analytical work should provide necessary information for the preparation of Country Strategy Papers (CSPs) and other relevant documents;
- Provide technical advice to RMC governments and Bank field offices on issues related to the creation of an enabling environment for private sector development;
- Direct, coordinate and/or facilitate the preparation of policies, guidelines and reports on issues concerning the business environment and other areas that form part of the activities of OSGE.1.
- Monitor country policies on the private sector environment, analyze and make recommendations for improving such policies, and contribute to evaluating country performance and risk in those areas;
- Participate in RMC economic program review, provide professional opinion on the economic and financial management aspects, and their impact on the private investment environment;
- Represent the Bank in coordination meetings, colloquia, regional or international seminars and conferences in areas relevant to the Department;
- Conduct or contribute to research on issues related to the establishment of an enabling environment for private sector development , for the Bank’s internal use of external publication, with a view to contributing to the dissemination of knowledge and best practices;
- Contribute to training Bank staff and RMC officials in its fields of competence;
- Prepare notes and papers at the request of top Management (President and Vice-Presidents) treating subjects relevant to his/her responsibilities within the Department;
- Perform any other duties pertinent to the work of OSGE.1 assigned by the Division Manager or the Director.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master Degree or equivalent degree in economics/business management/applied economics/financial economics/economic and financial management.
- At preferably a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in the preparation management and supervision of development programs in areas related to business climate improvement;
- High analytical capacity and in-depth theoretical knowledge in macro-economics, micro-economics and business management;
- In-depth knowledge of private sector development and corporate governance issues in Africa, as well as actions aimed at promoting the creation of an enabling environment for private sector development on the continent, acquired within national public or private, international or regional agencies;
- Knowledge of the key tools for diagnosing and evaluating the quality of private sector environment; in-depth knowledge of Bank operational policies and guidelines in the public and private sector, as well as the institution’s operational rules of procedures;
- Capacity to work as part of a team, analyze and synthesize; excellent inter-personal, communication and project management skills; attention to detail, readiness to promote good results and client focus;
- Proven capacity to lead; promote the continent’s development, apply innovative approaches and change working methods, while remaining effective under changing working conditions;
- Through ability to use standard if applications (Microsoft Office Duties); good knowledge of SAP will be an asset;
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in French and/or English with working knowledge of the other language. Good working knowledge of Portuguese desirable.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Submitted by: Clement OPARE, Officer-In-Charge, CHRM.1
- Approved by: Clement OPARE, Ag. Director, CHRM
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The AfDB President reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply: www.afdb.org/jobs