PROJECT Location: Maroua preferred
SNV-Cameroon provides capacity strengthening to local organisations (private, public or NGO) engaged in work for poverty reduction. In particular, we seek impact in: improvement of revenues, employment and production; better access to basic services (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) and better access of the poor to Renewable Energy. In all our work, special attention is given to issues of governance, gender and inclusion. Our Advisors combine technical competencies with the ability to facilitate change.
Access to modern energy not only helps eradicate extreme poverty and improve the environment and living conditions, it also reduces the disparity between men and women. Social services (hospitals and schools) and businesses can only operate efficiently if they have access to modern energy. It is nowadays fully recognized that access to affordable and sustainable energy products and services is necessary for the fulfilment of most development objectives.
The overall goal of SNV Cameroon is to contribute to improve the livelihoods of the rural and marginalised groups by accelerating the dissemination of renewable energy products and services for the poor. In this context, SNV has recently chosen to extend its advisory team and is seeking an advisor in Renewable Energy for a Biogas research Project.
- Key project staff for innovative research project on the effectiveness of subsidies to reach key constituents in the Adamaoua region.
- Supervise baseline studies, coordinate with research staff in Cameroon and abroad, ensure high-quality work from local consultants.
- Prepare terms of references, review reports, manage consultants, conduct quality assurance, identify problems and propose solutions.
- Understand and direct an academic research project on the effectiveness of subsidies for biogas plants.
- Analyse context and identify key stakeholders and actors to engage in joint collaboration to resolve identified and/or selected issues,
- Conduct routine context analysis and contribute to the development and strategic positioning of SNV in the field of improved cook stoves and renewable energy in Cameroon
- Provide high quality capacity building services to clients in the areas of production, use, distribution, after-sales service, operation and maintenance of improved cook stoves in rural areas and small towns, and strengthening institutional capacity of public and private bodies
- Undertake and manage routine monitoring and evaluations with clients and provide corrective measures and lessons learned,
- Provide advice, support and coaching to local CBOs and Local Capacity Builders working with communities in all regions of Cameroon, in order to professionalize their functioning and scale up service delivery,
- Contribute to internal and external knowledge development, management documentation and sharing lessons within SNV, clients and/or assignments,
- Work with the renewable energy team on the developing partnerships and link among programs in the department, including REDD+, biogas and solar energy.
- Lead investigation of pilot project to assess the effectiveness of subsidies for biogas plants.
- Contribute to financial resources mobilization and partnerships development,
- Document results, including the process followed and the support supplied by SNV and present case (study) and research at relevant forums.
- Bachelors or Master degree or Post graduate qualification in Renewable Energy, Engineering, Maths, Social Sciences or other relevant subjects.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in a field related to renewable energy or energy efficiency, preferably with government, international NGOs, action research or private sector, and working with communities.
- Experience in advisory practices, in application of models/tools related to community development processes, understanding technical aspects of technology dissemination, capacity building for effective use and management, public partnerships/development, understanding of gender equality and social inclusion, experience of working with international and national organizations and institutional development, understanding of knowledge management, and practical experience with academic research projects.
- Analytical and problem solving ability, result-oriented and creative, good communication and presentation skills, good documentation, facilitation technical skills, team player with networking abilities.
- Excellent English or French, bilingual applicants preferred.
Duration of Contract: 1 year with the possibility of renewal
Desired Start Date: ASAP
How to Apply: Please send your application letter and CV in English or French no later than the 20th February 2013 to email@example.com with the subject line “SNVCM-Advisor RE-BG”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.